Spelling

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by legoofy, Sep 22, 2010.

1. legoofy

legoofy Rookie

Sep 22, 2010

Does anyone give pre-test on Monday? If so what do you do for those that get them all right? Do they just not test on Friday or do you give them challenge words?

I see no sense in giving students work with practicing spelling words they already can spell but I am trying to figure what I should as far as not testing them or giving them a harder list.

3. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 22, 2010

First of all, where do your words come from? Are they from a certain pattern or high frequency or just pulled from your brain?

4. NightSky

NightSky Rookie

Sep 24, 2010

Are the words based on letter-sound correspondences that the students already know? If so, the students who are able to spell all the words on Monday can choose from a "challenge word list" that has more complex single-syllable spelling words (e.g. CCVCC words) or two-syllable words with correspondences that they know.

5. taryn_liz

taryn_liz Rookie

Sep 25, 2010

I give a pre-test on Monday. If they get all the words right, they don't have to take it again for the week. We practice on Tuesday, then I give another test on Wednesday. If they pass it on Wednesday, they don't have to take it on Friday. Even my highest learners usually miss one on Monday. It works well, and they all love it when they don't have to take the test on Friday.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

I give the pretest on monday, if they get 100% then they get challenge words. All their practice during the week is on their challenge words. Then they take the test on Fri.

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Sep 25, 2010

To the OP - I'd look into Fountas and Pinnell's Buddy Study if you would like to differentiate and reach all learners.