Spelling Word Lists

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by sophie1, Jul 5, 2007.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

Where do you get your spelling words? I am looking for a "good" program to use in correlation with my basal.

3. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Our spelling words come from our basal story each week.

4. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

We get many of our words from the children's own writing.

5. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Jul 5, 2007

I use the spelling words from my basal for the most part but I also include Sitton Spelling words.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 5, 2007

Ditto. We include the dolch words but we also look at what we think the kids will want to write about or what we are learning about at the time.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 5, 2007

If you want to teach words by rule, Word Journeys by Kathy Ganskley (spelling?) is a good resource. Words Their Way is also good.

8. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 7, 2007

I use the 37 rimes or word families and then make up 3 lists a week one is easy, one is more challenging and one uses more prefixes and suffixes. Kids choose their list but we practice the word family of the week together all week and I pick other words even not from the list to practice. For instance if the word family is "ack and ick" for the week some words might be pack and pick or stick and stack or stacked or unstick for the 3 levels. Then we practice trick, stick, brick, lick, cricket etc. all week on whiteboards, making words, sorts, etc. It took a lot of time but I did it on Sunday nights every week last year and now this year it is all done. Oh, also, I did 3 sentences a week using past words for review and present words. The kids had it for dictation during the week several times and on the test I only gave out 2 of the 3 sentences for dictation on back of test. I added 4 vocabulary words when we did science or social studies and kept them and definitions in pocket chart all week. Sometimes after lunch we would mix them all up and have 1-2 kids come up and put them right. Most kids got 100% on spelling and vocab. Dictation was harder but I thought worth the practice.