Spelling word help needed

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Nov 16, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Nov 16, 2009

My daughter is have troubles with her spelling words. All the different vowel blends are confusing her.. her daily homework consists of writing them three times each on Mondays, doing a word meaning worksheet on Tuesdays, pick 10 words and use them in a sentence on Wednesdays, practice test in Thursdays. I make a chart and highlight each word group with a different color and also have her fill in a missing letter for each word. What else can we do? She is really struggling with spelling big time.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 16, 2009

These are some activities I stole from a previous post:

*Fair or Unfair?
    Students will complete a worksheet that helps them determine if their word is “fair or unfair” and they “highlight the tricky part.” This helps them visualize and remain aware of the parts of the word that do not follow traditional phonics patterns.

*Write in the Air:
    This activity requires no prep, no set up, no special materials! Simply write the words in the air using your WHOLE arm.

*Burn it:
    For this activity, we also may call it, “Burn it into your brain.”
    1- Look at the word and spell it out in your mind.
    2- Touch each letter in the word and spell it.
    3- Close your eyes and spell it in your mind. Try to picture each letter.
    4- Look at the word once more.
    5- Close your eyes and spell it out loud.

*Hangman:
    For this activity, use a piece of paper or a whiteboard slate.
    1- Have a classroom partner or an adult at home write a dash for each letter, like in the game hangman.
    2- Have the partner read the word out loud.
    3- Write the letters for that word in the spaces, correctly spelling it.

*Visual Imagery Quizzing:
    For this activity, you may also use a piece of paper or a white board slate.
    1- Draw a space for each letter, like in the hangman game mentioned above.
    2- Do not write any letters on the paper or board. Instead, the partner points to each space on the board and the speller says the letter.
    3- Point to each space in order.
    4- Point to each space in random order, over and over again (each letter 3-5 times)
    5- Point to each letter in reverse order.
    6- Point to each letter in the correct order.

*Syllable Sense:
    This activity requires no prep, no set up, no special materials! This activity can only be done with multi-syllabic words.
    Clap out the syllables of the word on the body. Using the body helps kinesthetic learners get the “word into their body” in a way that clapping or tapping syllables won’t do.
    First syllable: clap on wrist Second syllable: clap on elbow Third syllable: clap on shoulder Fourth syllable: clap on top of head Fifth syllable: clap other shoulder… for words longer than 5 syllables, clap down elbow (6) , wrist (7) , and even back again! Can you think of such a long word??
    If the word is “Excellent” you would divide it up into syllables like this:
    Ex-cell-ent (wrist, elbow, shoulder)
    Ask the speller, to spell the wrist: ex
    Spell the elbow: cell
    Spell the shoulder: ent

For fun, you can also write the words in shaving cream or pudding on a table--like finger painting!

4. corney

corney Companion

Nov 17, 2009

thanks for the suggestions.. I like the hangman idea the best.

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2009

The visual imagery one also seems to work well for some of my students, and they really have fun doing it.

You could also do something where you write the word, and then erase it one letter at a time, and have her spell it aloud.

Dry-erase boards are always fun to work with--maybe getting a little one and writing on their would be fun to do something different with them. You could always use a piece of construction paper slipped into a plastic page protector.

Hope some of these things help!

6. tgim

tgim Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

Make up a rhyme or a song to help by grouping words w/ similar spelling patterns together - The snake sat by the lake on a bike with Mike...the snail can sail over the trail to get the bait...The clown fell down but is back up on the prowl...The cloud is not loud but it is very proud...Lame - but I am getting ready to go and cannot think of the ones we actually use...sorry!

7. corney

corney Companion

Nov 18, 2009

LOL, You did great, I do the same thing when she does her practice tests.. I group all the like words together in silly sentences to help her get the proper spelling.. I guess I'm not so far off with my ideas.. Keep'um coming..

Thanks

8. corney

corney Companion

Nov 18, 2009

we have a white board that we use all the time.. it is a great tool.. Thanks :D

9. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Nov 18, 2009

You could do a word sorting.
    Sort by vowel pairs
    by th__, sh__, ch__, wh__
    silent e
    etc.
    Go to spellingcity.com for on-line activities

10. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 18, 2009

If she is routinely transposing her letters this could be an early sign of dyslexia too...
    This dyslexia website has good ideas for any kid challenged with letters:
    http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/hints.html

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 18, 2009

Have you talked to her teacher about it? She may have some suggestions, too. Spelling is one of those subjects I've really been struggling with over the years. At the beginning of my teaching career I started out like a lot of other teachers. I "taught" spelling through worksheets and tests with the assumption that all kids could memorize the words. That's just not the case. Now it's the subject I use to really teach my kids how to pick the best way for them to study. Every week my kids get a tic tac toe page for spelling homework. There are 9 activities on it and they pick 3 to do for homework during the week that make a tic tac toe (I didn't create them, they are located on the teacher compolation site for Storytown - http://pcboe.net/les/elderweb/harcourtresources.htm) I give them permission to change any of the activities to one that works best for their child (they simply cross it out and rewrite the new activity). I work with the kids on deciding if they learn best by writing the words in different ways, hearing the words, or seeing the words. There are activities for each on the sheet. I also actually teach spelling in class, too, now. lol

12. corney

corney Companion

Nov 19, 2009

ChristyF, Thanks for the link I will try these. I wish our school used Harcourt instead of Treasures. I hate treasures..

13. corney

corney Companion

Nov 20, 2009

HELP!!!! My daughter spelled all of her words correctly last night. This morning I was quizzing her and she was misspelling them.. What's up with that??

14. corney

corney Companion

Dec 7, 2009

Update on spelling.. after doing some additional spelling study guides, my daughter has gotten an 80 and a 90 on her last two spelling tests. YES!!! it's paid off so far!! Thanks for all your input...

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 7, 2009

Yay!!! I'm glad your daughter has someone who puts in the extra time and effort with her at home. Hopefully as she learns how to learn spelling words, she'll continue to improve!

16. corney

corney Companion

Dec 8, 2009

Thanks.. now if I could teach her to read I would be making great progress.. at times I think she is getting worse instead of better, but the school says she is doing great.. she doesn't show it at home.. I'll stick to the spelling words and math..

17. Fordham82

Fordham82 Rookie

Dec 30, 2009

I second www.spellingcity.com- my students have recently started using it and I have seen a vast improvement with those who struggle!

18. spellingfun

spellingfun Rookie

Jan 22, 2010

I'd also vote for going to SpellingCity as having the best interactive and visual tools for difficult users.

They have 12 different interactive activities.