Spelling/Vocabulary

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by MrsB2B, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MrsB2B

MrsB2B Rookie

Jun 16, 2009

Hi all! I am in need of some suggestions for a spelling or vocabulary program.

I would love to have the time to do a word study component, but I think we have the weirdest schedule in the world next year and I am barely fitting my reading in!

What are some ideas for teaching spelling/vocabulary to students? Last year it was a basic list of 20 words focused around a sound or letter pattern with a test on Friday. I want to do something that is both meaningful and something they will retain. I want to be able to spend 5 or 10 minutes a day to reflect on things or do something with the words.

Any ideas or suggestions of strategies any of you have found effective would be wonderful! I have everything else planned out for next year except for writing and spelling and want to get it done!!

THANKS!

3. Mrs. Porter

Mrs. Porter Rookie

Jun 18, 2009

Mine is the same way. I would love to tie it into the grammar with the reading series more. I do have the challenge list. I give them a pretest on Monday, and if they get a 100% then they get the challenge list the rest of the class gets the pretest list. The CL has 5 challenge words on it and then they have to come up with 15 more words and show me the following day.

I try to do a spelling class game once a week, a phonics lesson, a word search, and I have a lot of spelling worksheets. So I do at least one spelling activity a day. And give spelling homework 2-3 times a week.