Spelling Tic Tac Toe HELP

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Miss Kirby, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 23, 2007

I wanted to try a Tic Tac Toe Spelling for homework. I also wanted to get away from "these are your spelling words to memorize" and more towards "the is the spelling skill, if you know this skill you can spell lots of words."

I'm just not sure what kinds of activities to put on the spelling tic tac toe.

3. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2007

Miss Kirby I have a few of these made up but they are at school and they are not on my computer, I just have hard copies. If you don't get enough ideas let me know and when I go in next week I can scan them and email them to you. Let me know.

4. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Aug 23, 2007

how does spelling tic tac toe work?
    i want to implement this also, just don't know how it works.

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Aug 23, 2007

you make a 3 x 3 square grid like a tic tac toe grid and put activities in it. The kids complete activities to make three in a row. I sometimes give a free space in the middle.

i put various things in the squares like:
    ~write a story using 10 spelling words
    ~fraction spelling
    ~math spelling
    ~synonyms
    ~antonyms
    ~word search
    ~make up a riddle/joke
    ~crossword puzzle
    ~cvc patterns on a coloring sheet (i put the word in a section on a coloring sheet and then make up a key like green = cvvc words)

There are lots of ideas on the newingham website.
    http://hill.troy.k12.mi.us/staff/bnewingham/myweb3/

click on spelling.

HTH.:)

6. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 23, 2007

ABC order, write the words in rainbow, draw a picture to illustrate the word (I had more, but it was for 5th grade)

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

Miss Kirby, here are some that I gave my students last year and I will definately do them again this year. They were a hit!! And the parent enjoyed helping them with it. Here are just a few.

SPELLING ACTIVITIES
    ABC Order – Write your entire list of words in alphabetical order.
    Rainbow Words – Write your entire list of words one time in pencil, then trace over them with different colored pencils or crayons.
    Story Words – Write a short story using all your spelling words.
    Cartoon – Create a cartoon strip using at least 8 spelling words.
    3 x’s Each – Write your spelling words 3 times each.
    Write Words in a Sentence – Use 10 spelling words in a sentence.
    Ladder Words – Write each spelling word as shown below:
    Ex. w
    we
    wen
    went
    Flashcards – Write all of your words on flashcards. Use the flashcards to study your words.

Dictionary Words- Look up each spelling word and write the definition.
    Rainbow Vowels- Write each word. Trace over all the vowels in different colors.
    Poem- Write a poem using all of your spelling words.
    Keyboard Words- Type each spelling word 3 times each on a computer. Print it out & paste in notebook.
    Choo-Choo Words- Write your entire list of spelling words as one word to make a spelling train.
    Tape Recorder- Tape record yourself spelling each spelling word. Bring the tape in so the teacher can listen to it.
    Magazine/Newspaper Words- Find your spelling words in a newspaper or magazine. Cut them out and paste them in your notebook.
    How Much Is It Worth?- Add up how much money your spelling words would be worth using the chart below like this ( there = 35c):
    A B C D E F G H I J K
    4c 5c 2c 3c 4c 6c 9c 1c 7c 10c 8c

Etc.

:2up:

8. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2007

By the way, I didn't do a spelling tic tac toe, I just had the kids choose any 4 activities for the week and complete them 1 a night. So they all had a "spelling notebook" which was a composition notebook and they had their spelling activities listed inside their homework STAR binders in a plastic sleeve. So every night, they chose 1 activity, wrote the date and name of the activity on the next clean page in their notebooks and completed their spelling activity for the night. Then the following nights, they did the same. So basically they completed 4 a week and no homework on Friday. I just felt this was easier to manage and didn't require them to check off a tic tac toe board. And I didn't give them ALL the activities to choose at once, I gave them half of these activities for September through December. Then the harder ones after Christmas break, the second list from January through June. But they would still do some of the old activities & that was okay. Every learner is different, and that's what make this so meaningful!! You are smart to incoporate this in your spelling instruction this year!

9. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 24, 2007

I've done spelling tic-tac-toe as well as the list (choose 3 but don't have to make a tic-tac-toe). For my list, I used the one on Ms. Newingham's site.

For spelling tic-tac-toe, I sometimes made the list based upon the word patterns--
    -for instance, (this was 3rd grade) Make a sorting chart with these headings: words with prefixes, words with suffixes, words with both. Fill your words in the chart. (I'd also do these with words with long/short vowels, nouns/verbs/adjectives, syllables, etc.)
    -make up (or copy one on the back) a code & spell your words in code...include the key.
    -write a story about a _________. Use 5 spelling words in the story.

Sorry I can't be more helpful... I'm just going from memory here since all my materials from when I taught 3rd and used spelling t-t-t are packed away at my mom's house.

10. hdavidson

hdavidson Companion

Aug 24, 2007

i did a contract this year. the students had to get 100 points. i had about 15 items in the 25 pt column and about 10 50 point items in the other column. they could choose what items they would do and basically how many. they could do 2 50 point items (which took more time and effort), 4 25 point items, or 2 25 pt and 1 50 pt. that is of course if they dont get a 90 or better on their pre test on monday. i used this for fourth grade.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  11. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 26, 2007

YoungTeacher covered all the ones I used except a word search... i made a grid using the table feature on MSWord and they just had to write letters in each square. When appropriate, I also had them find rhyming words. I really liked spelling tic-tac-toe and so did my kids, hope it works for you!

12. knittingbec

knittingbec Comrade

Aug 27, 2007

I remember getting most of my ideas from a spelling homework book that my neighbor teacher had. I'll try to remember to ask her what it's called next time I talk to her (but we talk very infrequently since we now live thousands of miles away, so I may not remember!)

13. Tulips

Tulips Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Thanks for all the great ideas! I am excited to implement them. :)