spelling tests on high frequency words

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Mar 19, 2009.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Mar 19, 2009

I teach grade 2/3....
    In addition to weekly spelling words that the entire class learns, I like to quiz a few high frequency words each week. At the beginning of the year I give a test of high freq words to see which ones individuals don't know yet. There are many similar words, and I practice these words with the entire class. The problem is i'm now looking to individualize the words further so only certain people get certain words (ie ones they actually need to learn). Any ideas on how to track/record/test? Or maybe it's waaayyy too complicated and I should just work on common words with all. I'd really like to differentiate more :)
    Also, I really don't need to record scores and it doesn't need to be an official testing. My main goal is that the student learns the words he/she NEEDS to learn.
    Thanks!

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Mar 20, 2009

You could add review words to the beginning and a few advanced words as a bonus challenge to the end. Then you could assess your lowest and highest students while giving everyone a chance to review and a chance to challenge themselves.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Mar 20, 2009

I also do a pre-test on the words I am thinking of using. If they get all those words correct on Monday - I give them a list of 5 words I think they should learn and let them choose 5 words they want to learn. It gets them excited about studying the words and also targets what I want them to learn.

My test on Monday has lines for the words and then another section at the bottom that says - I got 100% of this week's words correct - here is my spelling list. Just make sure to copy the tests before sending it home - so you have the list for each student.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Mar 20, 2009

Each of my students has a spelling folder with about 24 lists inside. I pretest my whole class. I highlight the words they got correct. Each week, my students get to choose a certain number of words that are not highlighted to study for the week. If they get it right on the test, the word is highlighted. I pretest periodically throughout the year to keep the known words (highlighted) current. My class also gets 3 core words that focus on a certain spelling pattern. PM me if you want more details on management!

6. kteachone

kteachone Companion

Mar 20, 2009

I teach K, so it may be a little different.

I have 4 sight word groups.

1. Pre-primer (5 words)
    2. Pre-primer (10 words)
    3. Primer (10 words)
    4. First grade (10 words)

In the morning time, I send group 1 with the para, group 2 and 4 to a table with a pocket chart, and group 3 stays with me. We all work on our words for 10-15 minutes and then we come back together and play a game with everyone.