Spelling Sentences Grading Policy - help needed!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Starista, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Good Morning!

I am trying to arrange a grading policy for spelling sentences in 3rd grade.

While I expect the spelling word to be spelled correctly, I plan to use this assessment as a "Writing" grade.

That said, I am looking for complete sentences, proper ending marks, and capital letters at start of sentence and on proper nouns.

We have 20 spelling words per week.

Should I simply grade it out of "20" and take of -1 for incomplete sentence, -1 for wrong/no end mark, -1 for lowercase letter where a capital should be?

Or do you think it should be more formal? I did some googling on this and couldn't find too much -- thanks in advance for any help you might have!! My kids come up with some brilliant sentences, but their grammar is often wrong so I hope to correct this! :)

Thanks!!!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2010

I teach special ed, so my advice may not be exactly what you are looking for, but here is what I do. Spelling tests carry 2 grades, one for the spelling words and one for the dictation. Then the grades are averaged for the final grade. Each sentence loses one point for each error...punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Do you give a sentence with all of your spelling words. I give my 20 words to the students and then I dictate 2-5 sentences. I explain to the students that their sentences must be grammatically correct. Each sentence is worth 5 points (1-correct capitalization, 1-correct punctuation, 1-correct grammar/all words written, 1-spelling words spelled correctly, 1-earlier spelling words/word wall words spelled correctly).

My students get two grades, 1 is a spelling grade on their 20 words, the other is the dictation grade which is part of their writing grade.

5. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 24, 2010

Thank you both so much for your ideas!

My principal wants me to have the children create their own spelling sentences using our words of the week. She wishes for me to use this as a "writing grade," based on complete sentence, puntuation, capital letters, etc.

I believe she wants this to be independent work after a lot of modeling has been done, because some of my 3rd graders still struggle with the "complete sentence" idea... and some rush through their work and forget capitals/ending marks.

I also want to avoid the sentences that always begin like this... "I like..." or the children who begin with "Becuse/Beacause/etc!!!"

Thank you again so, so much. :hugs:

6. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 24, 2010

The way I learned to spell because is an odd way.

It sort of rhymes when you say it sort of fast and musical like :p

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 24, 2010

Maybe just focus on what you have taught them. Focus on the spelling words that have been taught or are word wall words. Focus on the grammar that you have taught (capitalization, punctuation, etc).

It's not fair to penalize a 3rd graders for trying something that they haven't learned yet.

8. Starista

Starista Cohort

Oct 25, 2010

Good Morning!

Exactly what I am going to do. My question is -- would just simply deduct one point if they miss an uppercase letter or punctuation? Thanks again! :)