spelling program

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by mango, Aug 24, 2007.

1. mango

mango New Member

Aug 24, 2007

We're looking into starting a formal spelling program at our grade level (3rd) but would like to know what you like/dislike about the program you're using now. Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

3. lwteacher

lwteacher Rookie

Aug 25, 2007

My personal feeling is that the spelling programs we have in place are there only because it is generally what we have done in the past and not because it works. Good spellers are that way mainly because they are good readers I have found. What do we use? We use a district generated spelling list, with a certain number of skill words or high frequency words (such as 'ea' or 'homophone' words) then a certain number of 'challenge' words based on curriculum. We derived our program through 'SpellWell'. I don't know. I hate doing spelling because no matter what, the same things happen year to year. There are always a few good spellers that spell well no matter what they are doing. Then there are some who do well on their tests, but BOMB whenever they have to use the same words in their writing. And finally, there are the kids that no matter what they do to practice, they just can't get it. I have tried active practice, writing each spelling word over three times a piece, all sorts of games...and still the spread is the same.
    My opinion is that if you focus on the reading skills, the spelling will come.:2cents:

4. Mrs.A

Mrs.A Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

We use Sitton Spelling in our district. It is based on teaching individual spelling/phonics strategies. Kids have a list of no excuse words that they must spell correctly in all their writing. They are also supposed to have more individualized lists of words they need to learn. In reality, I found it very hard to implement and to be honest, pretty boring. That may just be me though because last year was my first year using it and I had a really rough year overall. I think the concepts are good but the implementation is difficult.

5. Leans417

Leans417 Rookie

Aug 26, 2007

We do a word study program that is based on the idea that spelling is developmental and focuses on teaching kids patterns that can be found in words. At the beginning of the year, we group the kids into spelling groups based on ability level. Each group receives a different list each week that they sort into columns based on the patterns found within those words. I hated it at first because it seemed hard to manage. But I did see a lot of progress in the kids, and it was automatically differentiated, so those high spellers were challenged with words at their level while the lower spellers got the support they needed with basic patterns. We used the books Words Their Way and Word Journeys, which had sorts included in the book.

6. michelb366

michelb366 Comrade

Sep 14, 2007

I'm using the Words Their Way this year for the first time. I'm probably not doing everything exactly, but am adapting it to my style. I like that it is differentiated so my high spellers get a challenge and my low spellers just continue to fail. It is phonics based and the additional books that go with it have great ideas for activities and games. I also like that on a spelling test, the kids are tested on new words that follow the same pattern to assure that they are learning the rule, not just memorizing words for the test.

7. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Sep 15, 2007

We get our five high frequency words from Working with Words. Then we focus on two word patterns a week. Five are the high frequency words, and ten pattern words (five of each). I like the format of our program and it is much less threatening than the program that the district used when I was a kid.

8. j9saylor

j9saylor Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Mrs. A,
    Where are you in Pennsylvania?
    I'm in Pa also and we use Rebecca Sitton. I'm not a big fan. I don't find that it helps poor spellers.

9. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

Spelling Tests?

For those who use differentiated spelling lists, do you give spelling tests at the end of the week? If so, how do you administer them?

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Sep 17, 2007

I have the kids "test" one another. I call it a check-in. They work with a partner and give the test to the other person. I give them a list of the other person's words. You need to talk to them a lot about this before doing it, so they know not to cheat, how to administer the test, etc. I did this even when kids had the same test.

11. Jbrid

Jbrid Rookie

Sep 17, 2007

That's a great idea! Thanks!

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2007

I'm doing Words Their Way this year too! Thanks for that idea, I didn't figure out how to "test" the kids every week. It makes sense to test them on words that have the same rule & then have the kids administer the tests. Thanks.
    For those of you who do WTW, what do you assign for homework for the kids every night for spelling practice?? I'm stuck on that.

13. akwhatley

akwhatley New Member

Jun 3, 2008

I like using Wordly Wise. These words are words that my students see in our Lit. Circle books all the time. They constantly come up to me and announce that they see one of our words. The only down side to Wordly Wise is that it is Vocabulary based and not phonics based. My team mate does not like WW based on that. Oh, well, I'm thinking of integrating vocab. from lit. circle books to compensate.

14. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 7, 2008

We are doing Johnny Can Spell, or Think to Spell, it's boring and it stinks!!!!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 7, 2008

I use a list of "Commonly Misspelled Words" and have created a selection of activities for the students to complete each week. While all students are working on the same list, they can choose the activities that suit them. Some of the activities are more "mechanical" (writing their words in a variety of ways), and some are writing-based. Each week's words are added to our list of "no-excuse words" as they work with them.

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 11, 2008

I'd love the hear how you manage differentiated lists. Our third grade does, I've tried and almost went crazy doing it.:eek::eek:

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 29, 2008

We used Zaner Bloser Spelling Connections. I found it to be a good program with lots of practice.