Spelling Ideas!

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by Starista, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 21, 2008

Hello!

I need some new ideas for how to instruct spelling in my classroom.

We have a seperate spelling series from our writing series, so the words don't match each week. (We tried to change this).

For example ~ this week in reading series (Harcourt) we're learning long o made by ow and oa. But in spelling we're learning words with -ing at the end (keeping, feeling, doing etc).

I am torn whether to teach phonics 2x a day? Or just focus on memorizing their spelling words.

Should I try rainbow writing their words w/ lined paper? We do dry erase boards as well, but I am not sure how to drill the words to my lower kids, especially since the spelling words have NOTHING to do w/ the reading series' story of the week or phonics skill of the week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :help:

3. soflgal

soflgal Companion

Jan 21, 2008

Is there any way you can choose words from the story you are reading and make them your spelling words? You can do things such as rainbow words, and highlighting the long o sound in the word, as extension activities?

Just a thought. It makes no sense to me that schools do this.

4. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jan 21, 2008

When you do your phonics you could do oa/ow on Monday, then -ing on Tuesday, practice both a little on Wednesday. Would this work? You could also practice reading and writing some words with both, such as boating and rowing.

5. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jan 22, 2008

We have a separate phonics and spelling series. I usually do spelling 3x a week and phonics 2x, unless I can incorporate the phonics into the spelling for the week. It just depends on the lesson. I also try and get some type of spelling practice in each day on top of that whether it's morning work or workstations--unscramble spelling words, crosswords, word search, rainbow writing, magnetic letters, etc.