Spelling Homework

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by pumpkincup, Jun 22, 2009.

1. pumpkincup

pumpkincup Rookie

Jun 22, 2009

What are some spelling assignments that you give for homework? Does anyone do anything besides the standard sentences, 5 times each, definitions and abc order?

Thanks

3. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jun 22, 2009

Assignments

I have my students use a dictionary to divide their words into syllables and find the parts of speech for each word, write an alliteration for each word, write a letter using their words, and write a story for their words.

I also use Show You Know Pictures...

Students have to write each word and then draw a detailed picture showing they understand each word.

For example:

neighborhood-draw a group of houses by a road.

jump-child jumping a rope

shout-picture with a "talking" bubble and someone shouting, the situation in the picture should show a need for shouting...

4. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jun 28, 2009

Use puzzlemaker.com to make a crossword, pyramid words (see example below), spelling code (they have to use multiples to make a code, then use the code to write out each word... so if A=2, B=4, C=6, then the code for "cab" would be "6-2-4"), and spelling coordinates (put all the letters of the alphabet on a coordinate grid, students write the coordinates of all the letters in a word). I like to sneak math in whenever possible :)

Pyramid word for stink:
    s
    st
    sti
    stin
    stink

5. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jun 29, 2009

We have them at the beginning of the year when we are also teaching about writing sentences and paragraphs create a short paragraph using 5 of their spelling words. As the year goes on we have them then use 10 words. This also helps them to realize some of the connections between words in the unit that week. Also, they can create a word search on graph paper to give to a fellow classmate to solve during free time.

6. 2tired2teach

2tired2teach Companion

Jun 29, 2009

We also do spelling Fractions.
    the denominator is the total letters,
    vowels and consonants are the numerators.
    I have a 3 column form they use. When we look up the word in dictionary, we do math with the page number also. I really like the alliteration idea! thanks!

7. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Jul 21, 2009

I also have my students sort their word lists based on spelling patterns, such as -er, -or, and -ar words. Then when I test them at the end of the week, I use dictation sentences.

8. teacherfourth

teacherfourth Rookie

Jul 22, 2009

HI..I give out four nights of homework on Friday -- some like to do it over the weekend -- parents like the idea too since they seem to have more time to go over the words with the students over the weekend - that gives them a head start for the week. The homework consists of spelling cartoons - ( we collect them and bind them to add to our reading area) we also do this like spelling machine where they draw/create a picture of a machine to do a job then use the weeks words to desribe it... we do wanted posters using the weeks words to tell about the person...spelling definitions where they use the word in a sentence and list three different definitions one being the correct one...create a word search --- crossword puzzle ---on puzzlemaker.com.....TV spelling where they create a list of a weeks worth of tv shows using the weeks words in the description....a menu using the words....riddle me where they use the words in a riddle like sentence.....things like those are fun and interesting a creative way to get them to use the words...
    Please use any...if anyone has more I would love to know

9. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Jul 22, 2009

I use edhelper for a bunch of different puzzles too. They have a cool one that gives four spellings of the word and the kids have to circle the correct one. I usually give this on Thursdays since they know the words pretty well by then. I always give ABC order, sentences, 3x each in cursive, sometimes a word search or crossword.
    One thing my mentor does is not everyone does spelling hw, only the kids who score less than 90% on their weekly test have to do homework the following week. Her kids love it and really strive to do well on the tests so they don't have spelling homework for the week.