Spelling Homework???

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by missdgr3, Oct 18, 2008.

1. missdgr3

missdgr3 Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

Hi! I want to spice up my students' spelling homework. Right now they do the usual 3x each, spelling sentences, and writing a story using one of the spelling words. I want my students to have a choice.

Help!! What do you do? What works??

Thanks! :)

3. buckie252

buckie252 Rookie

Oct 18, 2008

I used Spelling Contracts at the beginning of the year. Students had to earn a certain amount of points each week. I stopped doing it when I realized how much time it was adding to my weekend grading time. IF you don't mind the extra papers to grade, I would suggest some type of spelling contract. There are lots of examples on google!

4. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 19, 2008

1 week of spelling contracts (75 papers turned in on the same day!) put me off them unless I can figure some way of making keys and having the kids correct the papers themselves. I may work on that next summer and try again next year. I'm going to be looking at different paths as we go this year.

5. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Oct 19, 2008

I do a modified spelling contract. It has 4 weeks of assignments, so in theory, it doesn't get old. PM me your email if you'd like it.

6. Miss Bliss

Miss Bliss Companion

Oct 20, 2008

THis suggestion is not about spicing up homework, but I'll tell you how we study for tests. There's a book out by Scholastic on fun spelling games. Each Thursday (which is the day before their test) we play spelling bingo, or special games with dice and playing pieces in order to review. It's a lot more fun than a pre test. Sorry that this is not really an answer to your question, but it is a fun alternative :)

7. LATechTeacher

LATechTeacher Companion

Oct 20, 2008

There is a great website that my students use for their spelling words. Spellingcity.com They can enter their words and practice them. They have great games to play too! I know its not really homework, but it will give them another way of studying.