Spelling Homework Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mrsnoble116, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

What do you do?

This year I will try to have them write once in print and once in cursive.
    ABC Order

I would like new ideas. Thanks.

3. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

4. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 14, 2008

that's your site? I think I used it the other day when I was looking at VistaPrint ideas...I may use postcards for Open House. I was thinking about magnets too.

5. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 14, 2008

Yep - that's my site! :D I do have Vista Print ideas posted on there so you're probably right. If you post your creations on Flickr or something let me know and I'll link your ideas to the site too.

6. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 14, 2008

:2up:
    Thank You. These ideas are very useful.At the present time I teach a guidance program in my school and many of you writing prompts in a jar will be very useful.I will share some of the ideas with the fifth grade teachers in my school. I am sure they will be very appreciative and I will let you know if they have anything they can share. This was very kind of you.:2up:

7. BeckyRamone

BeckyRamone Rookie

Jul 14, 2008

For my homework activities I like to do things like a crack the code using their words (I just use wingding symbols), What spelling word am I? where they need to write the clues (I love that one because you can see who understand the words we are learning). I also do crosswords where the kids need to use 8 of their words, 4 across and 4 down and write the clues for them. I teach year 5 and 6 and I have found they really like doing those. Hope it helps!

8. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2008

The kids need to do 3X each for any words they misspell on the pre-test. Everyone completes the spelling packet for hw (they get it Mon and its due on Thurs). I'm also considering doing something with a morning bell activity where they can choose from wordsearch, crack the code, write a story, etc...I have like 10 of those activities in my old spelling center! :)

I used to have a spelling contract where they had to get a certain number of points each week (each assignment has a designated point number)...maybe I'll go back to using that again this year. :)

9. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 14, 2008

http://www.classjump.com/jessicatls/

On my website I have the HW my kids do. They have to do them with their parents and they need to be signed off. However, these are BRAIN BASED, researched and proven methods for memorization. (From the dyslexia clinic at the University of Washington.) I use them with all my kids and have great results. They do each one at home one night a week- if you have kids with LD, they should probably double up- and sometimes we do them as a center at school. It is very easy and fun for the kids.

I assess my kids on their words every 5 weeks (all the words) and I have 90% of my students getting 100%. This is much better odds than I have seen with other spelling HW strategies.

10. teachme

teachme Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

11. eager2teach2007

eager2teach2007 Rookie

Jul 15, 2008

Have you tried a "Word Pyramid?" Believe it or not, I had one of my 6th grade students show me this last year (something she had learned in 5th grade), and they seemed to have enjoyed the pyramids as a way to practice their spelling words. Here is how it goes. I'll choose the word responsible...
    R
    Re
    Res
    Resp
    Respo
    Respon
    Respons
    Responsi
    Responsib
    Responsibl
    Responsible
    Will it take a while? Yes, especially with the longer words I had my students learn how to spell (since they were in 6th grade). We would alternate between the "Word Pyramid" and writing the words 3x each. Hope this helps!

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 15, 2008

I love your clip art on your site, Miss Froggy.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Thanks for the ideas! I am looking to do something new this year.

I only worry about grading packets. What do you all do?

14. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 15, 2008

Fifth grade--give them the words on Monday, tell them to learn them by Friday. No homework.

I use them during the week, mostly in writing, but also in language. "Create a compound sentence with two of your spelling words."

I just don't want to check Spelling homework! I assign math homework, reading, some language, study for tests, work on projects, get some info off the Internet, ask parents about something.

And I usually have all A's in spelling except for those with poor visual memory. That's another story. Those students get spelling homework, but of a special kind. I think I may be developing a hatred for homework. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm just avoiding getting annoyed because it didn't get done.

15. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2008

Have those low kids try those exercises I mentioned on my website (I posted it in this thread awhile back.) It really is a proven, researched method. My kids have EXCELLENT results, even those with poor visual memory. Writing words over and over or reading them over and over won't cut it for those kids. When I stopped doing the spelling this year for the last month of school my kids WHINED and BOOED because they loved it so!

16. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 16, 2008

I like to use alphabet rubber stamps and they stamp out their spelling words.

Create sentences using 10 words. Pick one sentence. Illustrate the sentence.

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2008

Thank you, Miss Froggy. I'll add them to my list.

18. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Jul 17, 2008

thanks everyone! I"ll try all of them once and keep with what they like best.

19. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 17, 2008