Spelling Help!

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Aug 20, 2008.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Aug 20, 2008

I did a first day writing sample with my kiddos today and I am very concerned about their spelling! Do you have any ideas about how I should go about correcting their spelling of words throughout the year during writing time. Obviously we have the weekly spelling test and do various activities each week with that, but I was just curious. Thanks so much!

3. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I always include words that they constantly misspell on my word wall. That way it's on the wall, easy for them to see. Also, I remember our literacy coach telling me my first year that in second grade, we really want them to learn to enjoy writing. Some errors are okay! They will catch on little by little. We don't want to frustrate them by making them fix every word in a writing piece that they are very proud of. My advice would be to use your word wall, use your spelling program, and continue working on word patterns. Good luck!

4. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 23, 2008

I absolutely agree with Mrs100. I hold my students accountable (meaning credit is given) for words we have discussed in the spelling program, and for words that are on the word wall. My word wall is made of content area words I know they will need to use in their writing as well as words I have noticed they are consistently misspelling. If they make mistakes on other words, I write the correct spelling for them, but do not deduct any credit. This has worked well for me for the past few years.