Spelling Games?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by freckles1026, Aug 21, 2005.

1. freckles1026

freckles1026 Rookie

Aug 21, 2005

Hello-
    I just got a job last week in a first grade position. I am frantically trying to get everything ready b/c the school year is already underway and I have only 1 week until I have students. Does anyone know any neat spelling games I could play with my students that will review their spelling words for the week? (first grade)
    Thanks!

-Holly

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 21, 2005

You can play 4 clues. You choose a word and they each try to guess it in the least number of clues. These are the kinds of things I use with 5th grade. You would have to adapt it to 1st. "Clue One - my word has a silent e in it. Everyone write their first guess." They must choose something within a minute. Then I give succeeding clues each of which is more specific than the last. The kids can't change their answers once written. At the end they all stand and I say "State your guess in number 4.... Everyone who had the word ____ for number 4 remain standing. If you had it for number 3 remain standing...." Whoever got it in the least number of clues is the winner. It is great because you can design clues to practice a wide range of skills - parts of speech, vocab, phonics.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2005

Have a spelling relay. Divide the students into teams and having them line up facing the board or large pieces of paper. Call out one of the spelling words. The first student in each line runs up to the board and writes the first letter of the word, runs back and tags the second students who then runs and writes the second letter, and so on. The first team to complete the word gets a point! The word must be correct in order to win, so any errors need to be corrected by a team member. My class loves this! (It also gets them up and moving, which they need sometimes!)

5. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 21, 2005

Cute ideas! I'm gonna have to use them. I play "Sparkle" with my kids. The class lines up across the front of the room or in a circle. I call out a word, each child says one letter. After all letters are called out, the next child says "sparkle". That child is out and goes to sit down. If a child misses a letter, they are out. They LOVE this game. They end up wanting to play it every day!

6. dee

dee Companion

Aug 21, 2005

MrsC,

I love the relay idea.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2005

Thanks, my class loves it too...expecially great on a rainy day when they are "trapped" inside and need to move!

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 22, 2005

What my class likes best about Sparkle is that I left them sit on their desks.

9. Sylbyl

Sylbyl Rookie

Aug 22, 2005

Boggle Jr. is a great spelling game for K-2

10. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 22, 2005

I teach 4th grade and we have what I call a circular spelling bee. Students stand in a large circle. I call out a word. The person you designate to start, says the word and the first letter. The person to the right says the second letter, next person to the right says the next letter, so on, until the word is finished. The student that says the last letter also says the word again. Then I call out the next word. If we are just learning words, I let everyone stay in the circle if they miss a letter, and we spell that word again until we get it right. Sometimes we play to have a winner. When it is down to two people, I keep calling out words until one misses a letter and the last person spells the whole word on his/her own. Winner gets a small treat of some kind.

11. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 23, 2005

My student teaching class LOVED sparkle. They also liked doing WORDO with their spelling words.

12. Stav

Stav Rookie

Oct 6, 2005

If you have access to a computer in the classroom, you can put in your spelling words in this spelling wizard http://www.scholastic.com/kids/homework/spelling.htm and have the kids either unscramble the words or do a word search. Good practice for homework too.

13. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Oct 6, 2005

My kids also LOVE sparkle! Another thing I've done is played tic-tac-toe spelling. Half of the kids wear O's on their shirts and half wear X's. I make a masking tape tic-tac-toe board. Each kid gets a turn to spell a word and if they get it right they get to find a spot on the board to try and get 3 in a row.

14. TEACHNTEX

TEACHNTEX Rookie

Oct 7, 2005

This is not a game, but maybe an idea you can use,
    We have a weekly spelling pretest the day before our spelling test. If a student gets a 100 on their pretest they get a small certificate that reads
    "__________________made a 100 o/o on the spelling pretest list #_____
    No spelling homework tonight and no test tomorrow! Please sign and return."
    you can jazz it up any way you want. Everyone who got a 100 gets free time while everyone retakes the test. this could be a coloring page, puzzle time. etc. those who got a 100 and brought back their slip go into a drawing to see who gives the test the rest of the class. I am in class supervising them of course. This works great for me, it gives me a few minutes to do paperwork, or just sit and relax. They love being the teacher.
    Spelling grades have really been very good,

15. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Oct 8, 2005

16. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Oct 8, 2005

I'll second Sparkle!

My son's fifth grade class plays Sparkle with a twist...whoever wins the game gets an automatic 100% on that week's spelling test AND gets to give the spelling test to the rest of the class! They love pretending to be the teacher..not to mention getting a 100 on their test..It's a great incentive

17. kburen

kburen Cohort

Oct 8, 2005

We play lots of fun spelling games. My kids LOVE to play this one. I don't think it has a name. They sit on their desks and i give one student a ball (soft, squishy so it can't hurt anyone or anything). I give a word and they give me the first letter and thow the ball to soemone else, they keep going until the whole word is spelled. If they mess up the word, that person is out and they have to start all over. If they miss cathing the ball and it's a good throw, they're out. And if it's a bad throw and they miss it, the person who threw it is out. I have 5th graders and they love it, but it works with all ages!

We also do spelling bingo. They make a board with 9 or 12 of their spelling words on a piece of paper. I call out words and they mark them as I call them. If they get bingo, or spello, they have to spell the words before they can win.