Spelling for a Special Education 5th grader

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by jamoehope, Nov 14, 2006.

1. jamoehope

jamoehope Companion

Nov 14, 2006

Hello,

I posted this same question in the Elementary Education forum BEFORE I noticed there was a Special Education forum, so now I am reposting to see what you all might think.

I am volunteering with a Special Education teacher at an elementary school and she has me working with a 5th grader who spells at a few years lower than he ought to be spelling. I was wondering if any of you have suggestions for helping him to differentiate between the sounds "f" and "v." He frequently mixes "f" for "v" when it appears in words like "above" or "glove." The teacher tells me he makes this error because of how he personally sounds out the words to himself. What do you think?

Thank you!

Jamie

3. kabd54

kabd54 Cohort

Nov 15, 2006

The only thing I can think of at the moment (past my bedtime!!) is having the student recognize the difference between the voiced "v" sound and the silent "f" sound. I have my students place their fingers on their throat while making both those sounds. They will notice that the "v" causes a vibration, while an "f" does not. When they come across the letter in a word, they will put their fingers to their throats and check for the vibration (or not, as the case may be). The trick, of course, is to ensure that the student knows the correct association.

Hope this helps.