Spelling Curriculum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Rebecca1122, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Rebecca1122

Rebecca1122 Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

What does your school use as a phonics/spelling curriculum? Do you like it? We are looking to update our series with something that is more differentiated and interactive for the kids instead of just worksheets. This would be for first grade. Any suggestions?

3. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Mar 5, 2014

At my school its mostly done by multiple exposures. We have word walls and centers that mostly focus on spelling. On my smart board I like to show pictures first and after the kids tell me what it is, I will under the word one letter at a time while the students sound it out. Then, we all repeat the spelling a few times. For one of the center the kids have white boards and I tell them to spell those same words we previously practiced. They seem to enjoy. We also read twice a day. I think the reading is what will help students with spelling the most, they get to sound out new words they haven't seen before....at least that's how I remember learning to spell.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Mar 5, 2014

We don't have a set curriculum, but my team has decided to use pieces of Orton Gillingham this year. Next year I want to combine Orton Gillingham with Words Their Way.

I've heard good things about Fundations.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2014

I :love: Words Their Way.