Spelling City

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by giraffe326, Aug 13, 2008.

1. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

Has anyone here used Spelling City? It seems neat, but I am not sure if it will work with 5th grade. I can't for the life of me think of any of our spelling words right now, LOL. So, I wasn't sure if the words were to difficult for the program.

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Aug 14, 2008

That is really a great site! I'm going to use it with my 4th Graders. I've started uploading our spelling lists, my webmaster has the link to add it to my homework page, and I'll be using it as part of our spelling contracts.

Thanks for posting the link.

4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I use spelling city and love it! Of course, I teach 2nd grade, so I don't know how it would apply to 5th. It is mostly just taking your spelling list and creating word searches and different fun game type activities to expose the kids to the words in a fun way. Try inputting some sample words to see how it works for the older kids.

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

I tried that. I really like the "teach me" section for the kids who struggle. But, I am worried about that part. I can not for the life of me think of any of my spelling words and I am afraid they are too difficult. I did test some words but had a hard time of coming up with tough ones... I think my brain is on hiatus until Monday when I go back....

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2008

I just went and put on "hiatus" because it got me thinking. I also put in plethora, ghoul, Halloween, and species and it had sentences for all of them :)

7. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 14, 2008

Wow, so your words will not be too difficult, then. I have never heard of this before so thanks for the link.

8. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

LOL! :lol: I think you are set then! Good luck with it and have fun...your kids certainly will!