Spelling Bee

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by bina1357, Nov 4, 2006.

1. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Nov 4, 2006

Hi everyone,

I have been elected to run the spelling bee this year. The problem I had last year is there is not set list that all teachers use to qualify students for the school spelling bee. So, some are using reading vocabulary, some are using past spelling words, others are using words they found somewhere else. My principal forwarded me the list of Fry's words...there are 3000 of them. My question is, where can I find out what #'s go with what grades? I googled "fry's word lists" and didn't find much as far as finding out which range of words go with what grade level.

Does anyone know where I can find this information? I can't even find the list of 3000 words on the net.

Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 5, 2006

Sorry, I don't know. Couldn't you just use lists of challenging words or easily misspelled words? Is this for elementary? For the first rounds you could use the back of their spelling books.

Have you seen Akeelah and the Bee? It is a wonderful movie about a bright 6th grade student who makes it to Scripps national bee.

4. bernie

bernie Rookie

Nov 6, 2006

You might check the spelling bee website put up by Scripps. I found some good information on the DVD of Spellbound. I think they had lists of words, for primary and intermediate, that I've given to teachers at my school.

5. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

I believe Frye's and the Dolch lists are basically the same. Google the Dolch list to find the words for each grade level.