Spelling Bee coordinator

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TeachCafe, Aug 3, 2018.

1. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Aug 3, 2018

I'm thinking of volunteering to be the Spelling Bee coordinator or putting myself out there if assistance is needed as a co-coordinator.

Has anyone done this? It would be for 3-5th grades. Yay or nay? I've never done anything like that before and it's just or the 1st semester and not the whole year and an all the time thing.

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2018

I think our PTSA ran that last year (and the year before), and it was relatively simple: just need to coordinate with the Scripps (i.e. ensure you're following the rules, register, etc...), and promote it within the school / prepare for it, then run it the day of. We had about 60-70 kids participate in it this last year!

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 3, 2018

I’ve done it for the past few years. Parents are intense about spelling bees and making sure their kids get “fair” words! Hah! It’s fun, though. We don’t have a regional or provincial bee to qualify for, so ours was only in-school. We did grade level spell offs for grades 1-6.

5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Aug 3, 2018

Does anyone have more info on officially registering for the bee with Scripps? Has anyone done it?