Spelling Activities

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by JennH1213, Sep 13, 2007.

1. JennH1213

JennH1213 Companion

Sep 13, 2007

This year my spelling test grades have been horrible! Are there any fun activities you do with your class to help them spell the words? Thanks!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2007

Our spelling homework had a bunch of activites on there. They could write a story, sentence, letter to a friend using 8 spelling words, write the words 3x each, in ABC order. Then on Thursday b/f the test we played a game called "sparkle"

4. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Sep 13, 2007

I play a game with mine where I hold up a large picture that includes the spelling word. They have 30 seconds to study the picture, before I take it away and they try to reproduce it on their own papers. Then, we go through the pictures, and they get points for different things. For example, if the word was clock I might draw a clock with the letters of the word around the outside. They would get a point for having the word in the right place, a point for spelling the word correctly, a point for showing the right time on the clock, a point for having the right numbers on the clock, etc. They really enjoy it, and I try to draw the pictures so they show something about the meaning of the word, which helps with comprehension as well as spelling.

5. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 15, 2007

Sephernie, how can you apply this to non-concrete words. For example: fair (that isn't fair), saw, went, learn

Keep in mind our students don't have a good grasp of English vocabulary to begin with. I took a picture of a rake next to fall leaves for the word "fall" and they kept signing rake all week.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 15, 2007