Spelling Activities

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by krisaustin, Oct 10, 2006.

1. krisaustin

krisaustin Companion

Oct 10, 2006

Next week starts spelling in my school. I teach first graders with multiple handicaps, many of whom do not have the fine motor skills to form each letter.

I am trying to think of activities to have them do to help reinforce the spelling of their weekly words.

1. Students cut out spelling words and place in ABC order.

2. Students are given the letters out of order- they will then cut the letters out and glue them in order to form their spelling word.

3. Write the words/trace words.

Any ideas for other activities/modifications to the standard spelling activities.

I would love to bounce off ideas with other people:)

3. JonesJungle

JonesJungle New Member

Oct 10, 2006

I find that teaching spelling patterns/word families instead of actual words works well... for example, one week practice the VCE words like "one" that you can add blends, etc. to make other words such as stone, phone, bone... you can tell students "if you can spell "one" then you can spell "stone"..." I always add in a bonus word that doesn't count against them but if they get it right they get extra points, such as cyclone...

4. wsrecords

wsrecords Rookie

Oct 17, 2006

my students do what i call spelling boxes. first i pretest them on spelling words to see which ones they know and dont know...and then their spelling words are ONLY the ones they dont know. they pick one activity a day to do with their words...for example, there are such things as making a word search (www.puzzlemaker.com), typing them, using magnetic letters to make them, using clothes pins that have alphbet letters on them, using playdough or pipe cleaners. although i do like teaching spelling by word families and such as others suggested, then their lists are no longer individualized.