Spelling Activities

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by teach12, Sep 30, 2010.

1. teach12

teach12 Companion

Sep 30, 2010

I am in some need of good ideas to give for spelling homework. I udually do three times each one night, and rainbow words another night. I want something to switch it up...ideas??

3. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 30, 2010

The 3x each is done at home but in class my 1st graders write and then type spelling sentences using the spelling words. (this usually takes us the week)The kids really get into being creative, using adjectives etc.

There is also a game you can play with them called Farkle. Children stand in a circle and each child says a letter in the word. After the last letter is said, the next child says Farkle and has to sit down. Last child left standing is the winner. Kids get a kick out of this game.

We sometimes do our spelling pretest outside using chalk on the blacktop or inside using white boards. Just something to change it up.

I know you were looking for homework ideas but maybe these ideas will help!

4. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Sep 30, 2010

you should check out BigIQkids.com (formally spellingtime) and Spellingcity.com you can put in your words and they can play games with the words. They can do it in class and at home.

I had gotten a book that had lots of ideas like "spelling activities for any list" course you can make crosswords and word searches for your lists. Have them sort the words... change them into code (like morse code or "telephone code")....

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2010

Or have the kids make their own word search.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 1, 2010

My kids used to love to make word 'ladders' - especially when they got to use different colored pencils.

Say the word is face

On the first line, write the f
    On the second line, write f a
    Next, write f a c
    Last, write f a c e

The kids loved coming up with ways to vary the color patterns - all first letters red, all second letters blue, etc.

I used to play spelling bingo each week. This was 3rd grade so they made their own bingo boards on individual white boards. They made a 4x4 grid, but you could even do a 3x3. They entered their own words wherever they chose. The words must be spelled correctly or they can't win the game. Teacher calls out the words and kids cover with counters. Whoever gets bingo, must spell each of the words aloud before being declared winner.

The unexpected benefit of this was that all the other kids listened very carefully to the winner's oral spelling to try and prove him wrong so the game could continue and they'd have a chance to win. So, they practiced writing, word recognition, auditory skills - and checked the spelling of others. I made it fun and used small candies as a reward, but it would be fun even without them. We played every Thurs.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 1, 2010

There are many sites where you can enter your own word list and create word searches. You can even make different arrangements with the same words so kids can't 'help' each other.

I never understood why the kids wanted to do word searches so badly, but then they begged other kids to tell them where a word was hidden. Kind of pointless.

8. demijasmom

demijasmom Companion

Oct 7, 2010

Have them find their words in a newspaper or magazine cut them out and glue onto some paper or have them cut out letters from magazines or newspaper to create word and glue onto paper.

9. bondo

bondo Cohort

Oct 10, 2010

I like to have my kids try to write a story about themselves using the spelling words. It helps them to spell and understand the meaning of word. Some stories are very entertaining!

10. DowntownBrown

DowntownBrown Rookie

Oct 14, 2010

oh, I like the spelling ladders idea, I'll have to try that one, thanks

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

12. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Oct 16, 2010

I have the children make 4 sections on a sheet of their spelling journal(notebook). They put the words in alphabetical order in the first section, write the rule in the second section, sort the words (either by ending or number of letters) in the third section, and write a sentence for a word(just one) in the 4th section. The glue the spelling list on the page facing the four blocks.
    This is their spelling homework for the week, assigned Monday, and due Thursday.

13. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Oct 17, 2010