speech language

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Iris228, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

Hey guys! This might be a little off topic but I was wondering if anyone knows what the job outlook and requirements for becoming a speech language teacher are, particularly in NJ. Though I am teaching now I am interested in going back to school for my masters in this area. I would love to help students and work with smaller groups of children.

However, I never knew that there was such a surplus of teachers in NJ when I was in college and had a tough time finding a teaching job. (duh--I should have just checked these boards and listened to all the gripes about other teachers struggling to find work here in the northeast) I think becoming a speech language pathologist would increase my odds of finding a job and would be something I would love but honestly I really have no idea. I don't want to put up all the $$ and time if I'm going to end up unemployed.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2008

I have no idea, but agree that the job market in the tri-state area is brutal.

Hit the library, or google the NY Times for any Sunday in May of last year. Take a look at the teacher want ads-- that will probably give you a good idea of what was available last year.

4. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

Thanks for the advice Alice! I just wonder how accurate the amount of jobs posted in newspapers/online actually are. I know I see a lot of teaching jobs posted in these places. However, it was not an easy feat to actually land one of them...i guess due to the amount of teachers applying for these positions. It took me a LONG time and I had to work my way into a district and I still only have a full year LTS position. I have no idea if the speech language field is as saturated in this area.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 3, 2008

I've posted all this before in one thread or another, but I have my Masters in Education w/ Special Ed emphasis & 2 teaching credentials (to teach either gen ed or special ed). I taught RSP for a yr & have now returned to school where I'm currently a speech pathology student. I've always been interested in this field. I'm back to subbing now, but I've done numerous long-term speech subbing jobs throughout the yrs. It's a great field to get into & is in demand.

I'm in CA, so our Speech-Language Pathologist requirements are probably slightly different, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it! :)

6. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

Thanks so much for your response! It really seems like a wonderful career. I have subbed for a speech language teacher in a pre-k special ed. room and i LOVED it as well. I'm glad to hear you think its an in-demand job that comforts me beyond belief! I have just started to look at schools in my area that have accredited SLP degrees, there are only a few. I have lots to do before I can apply though starting with preparing for and taking my GREs, getting recommendations from i don't know who and figuring out how I'm going to pay for everything. But i am sooo excited about the possibility of going back to school and making this my future career. :)