Speech development in toddlers

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by saralynn2006, Jun 9, 2012.

1. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 9, 2012

Hi Everyone,
    I have just started doing in home preschool, and had a parent ask me to enroll her 21 month old in my program. He has just completed his first week here and is clearly developmentally delayed speech-wise compared to similar aged peers (he has only said the word tractor which sounds more like ta-ta, and just grunts and points to communicate). I have tried introducing some sign language to him to communicate that way, but obviously that will take time! I had heard from a few community members that his mother drank while pregnant and breastfeeding, so I have been looking up information about FAS. He has many of the symptoms (short attention span, unable to focus, developmental delays, hyperactive, etc.) but I have not (and probably will not) ask the mother about FAS. That is a very touchy subject to talk about when I am not certain of the cause of his delays. Anyway, the question I have for you guys is....what would be some good ways to work on speech development with a 21 month old, who is verbally at the stage of a child under a year old? He isn't able to sit for more than maybe a minute at a time (even at meal time), so I am just unsure of where to start or what to do! :confused:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 9, 2012

Does your public school system have a program to screen young children for speech, developmental delays, autism, etc? If they do, you can suggest then screening to the mother.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2012

Try Baby Signing Time DVDs. My little one started watching them around 6 months and could sit still for the 20-30 minute show. She loved them!

5. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 9, 2012

Do they start screening that young? I am not sure on all that kind of stuff. I wonder if they screen in the summertime or just close to the school year? I may have to check into that! Any suggestions of what I can do with him myself to help? Being exposed to others who are communicating should definitely help, but I am sure you smart folks have some good strategies for me to use! :)

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2012

They start screening at birth for some babies. And yes, they usually do have screening options over the summer. You just need to figure out where.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jun 9, 2012

The mom could call CDS and make a screening appointment at least she could here.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 9, 2012

Is there Early Intevention in your area? Child Find? That is what centers do around here.

9. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jun 9, 2012

Google your town/city/state and Child Find. I would give it some time for the child to adjust to the new environment before jumping to conclusions, but not to much time.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 9, 2012

Here is the link for Minnesota's Early Intervention: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/mch/devscrn/ Is his mom aware that he is delayed? I would talk to her about your concern's there and give her the information for intervention.

I like the touchy feely books and flashcards. They are cute, simple, and kids love to feel the different textures http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...ture+cards&sprefix=My+first+to,stripbooks,214 Other than that, lots of interaction with talking and fun songs and nursery rhymes along with what you are already doing :)

11. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 10, 2012

The mom is aware that her son is delayed speech-wise. That's the main reason she wanted him to come to preschool, so I am glad she at least is aware of the situation (He is very advanced physically --- he can do somersaults and pull ups!). I don't think she has taken him to any kind of screening, but I may suggest that option to her. I will also try getting a hold of some touchy feely flashcards. I was trying to read a touchy feely book with him the other day but he wouldn't even sit for more than one page of the book before he was off onto something else. So far, he is doing more parallel play with children rather than cooperative play, but hopefully that will start to change once he gets used to the other children more.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2012

You might want to take pictures of him throughout the day. You can use the pictures to give him the words of what he is doing and you can send them to him mom so that she can talk with him about them too.

Maybe he would be more willing to read a book where he is the star?

13. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2012

BE VERY CAREFUL!

It is not your job to diagnose a child and, certainly, not to discuss any possible reasons for a possible delay. Discussing the possible FAS with anyone could get you in big trouble.

I would discuss your observations of the child (without a diagnosis) and any possible concerns and ask her to discuss them with her doctor, and suggest she have the child evaluated. Around here it is by First Five or privately if they are under 3, and by the school district if they are over 3.

It isn't unusual for boys to talk later and 21 months is still very young but I understand your concerns and applaud you for wanting to do something. Just tread lightly to avoid a law suit or losing your job.

14. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 10, 2012

I am definitely taking caution with the situation. I would never "diagnose" him with anything, since I am in no position to do so. I just noticed that he has some characteristics that match FAS symptoms in children. I am looking into options for her to do a screening if she is open to it. I think she may be open to it since she knows he has speech delays.

15. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 10, 2012

I like this idea! I will have to try that! That would actually be something fun to do with all the kids :)

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2012

I think that they would love it! Good luck!

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 11, 2012

scmom, I was going to suggest the same thing. As teachers of children, we can observe that something is not right, but we really don't have the skills or knowledge to diagnoise.

18. lilleo13

lilleo13 Rookie

Jun 18, 2012

Cooperative play doesn't happen until the child is four. It sounds like you have a very young child and parallel play at 21 months of age is advanced.

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 18, 2012

I would like to echo the caution of scmom and blue. 21 months isn't uncommon for lack of speaking. My own son only had one word until 23 months. Here you can't even really ask for a screening for "delayed language" until 24 months and by then...he had words. We are ONLY to BECOME concerned if at 24 months they have less than 20 words. The words don't even have to be representations of the proper word "ta ta" for tractor would count as a word.

21 months is young for parallel play.

One of the things the others maybe warning you against is the self diagnosing...even within your own mind. Failing to sit for a child who hasn't been in a program...ever...is really not uncommon at 21 months.

Honestly, I have had many children that would fit into this description. All of them perfectly normal and all ready for kindergarten at graduation. One great thing about the program that you have opened is that you stand the chance of being that child's teacher for Many years. That sort of individualized education is a godsend!

20. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jun 18, 2012

I remember a friend that had a daughter who did not speak until late. When she began to speak, it was in full sentences with wonderful skill levels. Each child learns at their own pace and in their own ways. Provide the opportunities and see what happens.

21. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 23, 2012

You guys are probably right. I was just so overwhelmed with him being here the first few weeks. It is so much pressure to have the parent ask for me to basically "teach him how to talk". I think she is expecting it to happen quickly, which I know it will not. I have seen improvements just from him being here a few weeks. I am doing sign language with all the kids and he is catching on. I sent home a sheet of all the signs we are using here for his mom, and she says she is going to use them at home too. The one amazing thing I have discovered is that he LOVES to mimic one of the 5 year olds in my program. He will just follow him around and do everything he does. The only problem is that the five year old gets annoyed very quickly and gets mad at the 21 month old. At first the 5 year old thought it was funny, but after so long it gets old.

I am still in the process of making a photo book for him to look at. He is only here 2 days a week, so I am trying to get a lot of good variety of daily activities before I make it. Thank goodness Walmart has cheap photo books! :) I hung up lots of pictures around the classroom which I think will also help. He wasn't here this week, so I will have to wait until next week to see if that peaks his interest.

One other thing that has been a little tricky is our story time at the library. It is perfect for almost all of my kids -- everyone loves it, but my 21 month old shows interest for a page or two of the book and then is done. He is distracting to the other kids because he is constantly up and moving around. I have tried bringing little cars or quiet toys to occupy him while the others enjoy story time, but he loses interest quickly. What do you think I should do with him during story time? Usually the librarian reads about 3 books, and my 2-8 year olds sit through them all nicely. I do have an aide that could take the 21 month old elsewhere, but I am thinking that will also make the others want to get up and leave too. :confused:

22. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2012

Many 21 month olds would not sit for storytime. I would have the aide take him. If other kids ask, I would just say he isn't ready to sit yet, and praise them for doing a good job sitting and listening. Kids understand that "babies" (I would use his name, not baby) are still learning and growing but they are and most will be okay with it.

One of the strengths of home daycare is that siblings can stay together or younger and older kids are together - a more natural environment. They all learn how to get along together which would happen in a real family environment. That is one of my pet peeves with most preschools - that siblings who would normally be together all day are separated and don't interact together. It makes me wonder what the long-term implications are for families.

23. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 23, 2012

Honestly, any parent who comes in asking me to "fix" something...gets the same answer.....I am not a repair shop. We can provide the environment for growth but very few children are actually "broken" and so very few children actually need "fixed". I do feel that the larger the percent of time that a child spends in a quality program will "fix" many things...faster. However, that said, the larger the percent of time a child spends in a less stellar environment will "break" many things. So, Mom, please consider enrolling your child for more than only two days a week if there are issues that are concerning you.

I agree with scomom.....when kids are busted up and matched with only like ages for whole spectrums of their lives...I also think that there will have to be ramifications in our society.

24. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Jun 24, 2012

To me the child sounds like he is developing "normally". I would make sure the environment is rich in language. Giving words to everything that the child does. Making sure that there are lots of conversations between you and the other children. When the child points at something that he wants, make sure that you try to put words to it.

25. saralynn2006

saralynn2006 Companion

Jun 24, 2012

I agree 100% about the less stimulating environment "breaking" the progress I am making. He had all last week off, so I am afraid that when he comes this week that he will be back at square one. It is so frustrating because I can't force a parent to send their child more days than they choose to. If I had the choice, I would want him here everyday! I think he has a lot of potential if he has someone who is working with him. I think nowadays kids spend way too much time sitting in front of the TV. The first day he was here, he went over to our DVD collection, pulled out a DVD, opened the DVD player and popped the DVD out of the case. I just stood there completely baffled! :dizzy: He has to watch a lot of movies at home to be able to figure out how to do that!

26. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jun 25, 2012

Oh, I know that the parents make the schedule in this field....I just point out I can only do things with the time I am given.

No worries.

27. dragonmaiden50

dragonmaiden50 New Member

Aug 20, 2012

We have a girl like that at my school. She's three, and her parents have a speech therapist she sees at home. But since joining the class and warming up to the others, she's started talking all the time. Even if its something little like "Yes." "No." "Please." What we try to do is encourage it when she wants something. If she wants more milk at lunch, instead of just holding out her cup and staying quiet, we tell her to say please. And help her pronounce it correctly by saying it with her. Hope this helps.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 20, 2012

Finger plays
    Nursery rhymes
    Songs
    Repeat what he sas using a full sentence...so he says 'tractor'...you say 'look at the big red tractor'

Don't engage in talk with 'community members' to speculate on why he may have delays. Unless you are seeking guidance from a speech and language or sped professional, you shouldn't be engaging in such conversations.:2cents: