Speech Anxiety

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Ms.H, Nov 14, 2007.

1. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 6, 2007

When I was a Sr. we had to take Speech as well. I can honestly tell you I hated the idea of speaking in front of my friends. It was VERY tough on me. I would get VERY nervous. But our teacher had us do a personal speech first all about us. As kids, present & future. It was easier to do because you didn't really have to read off your outline..I think it was a minute & a half. I still don't like talking in front of peers...give me a classrooms of lil' kiddos any day. BUT I also decided to be a good speaker to take a speech class in college. The teacher would give out observation sheets to everyone so that they could make comments on how to improve. We also had to bring a cassette tape & they recorded our speech. I can tell you that was the most beneficial. I know this may sound horrible, but I did use some of the same speeches, & built off of them. It was a big help as far as my comfort, but helped me with my speaking!!!

I agree with the people that say speaking in front of people is a necessasity whether it be at work or casual it is important to be able to speak to people eloquently !!

2. holliday

holliday Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

Sorry I haven't had time to get back on here to add anything to my situation...but several of you wanted to know more, so here's the deal:

As of right now, we have a support team conference scheduled on this kiddo next week. Mom says that mental health support is "extreme" but the teachers and counselor disagree. Apparently mom wants to use his emotional issues as an excuse to get him off the hook for zeroes (he's missing 13 assignments in science and there's still 2 more weeks left in the 9 week term!), but she doesn't think it's severe enough to warrant official support. I feel like she wants to have it both ways...
    In my lang/lit class, he has a partner poem to read tomorrow. I already pulled him and his partner aside and asked if they wanted to read the poem to me at lunch or during break. They both said that would work. (I'll believe it when I see it because I've already offered this kid the same thing - even asked if he wanted to just video himself and let me watch it privately). He's never followed through with any of the alternatives I've offered.

So, I'll find out tomorrow if he will even show up to school. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

3. holliday

holliday Comrade

Dec 6, 2007

One more thing, the assignments I've had that require public presentations have all been straight reading assignments: the kids don't have to memorize anything. I start with easy stuff like personal essays so that the kids can sort of baby step into public speaking without having to worry about eye contact, memorization, etc.

4. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Dec 7, 2007

Frankly, it sounds like this kid has Mom wrapped around his finger. He sounds pretty manipulative.

5. KDS

KDS Companion

Dec 7, 2007

and it sounds like you have MORE than been supportive and helpful for his anxiety (real or imagined)

OH! and speech is required to graduate from HS now in Texas. And most colleges require some type of speech/presentation class.

I have to ask, if this young man's Mom wants all sorts of modifications, but nothing official, what does THAT accomplish? Is this just your class (does NOT sound like it!) And what is he going to do in college or after graduation? 7th grade isnt that far away from "real world"

Do let us know what transpired! My husband (also a speech teacher) and i have totally become invested in this thread.

(two speech teachers for parents...my 5 year old son brings home a note 2nd week of school saying he talks too much...i wanted to tell his teacher "tell me something i dont know"...lol)

6. holliday

holliday Comrade

Dec 11, 2007

Well...here's the scoop:
    He did show up at school to present with his partner during break (privately to me). I was happy, of course, but it also confirms to me that he can present, he just uses his fear as an excuse when he feels like it.
    Of course, he was absent yesterday and today so that's somewhere around 15 or 16 absences for me this semester.

We are supposed to meet on him tomorrow with support team, but his mom has to reschedule due to jury duty (hmmm..).

So, until I can meet with his other teachers, I won't have much more to report. He is WAY behind on all kinds of work and the counselor says not to cut him any slack. At this point, I guess that's what I'll be doing.

7. KDS

KDS Companion

Dec 12, 2007

i am glad that he did present! That is a major step! Good for you for being patient!!!!

It does sound a bit like your hands are tied and that sucks. But you have done all you can do