Speech and Debate (Alice, please help!)

Discussion in 'High School' started by GatorGal, Jul 18, 2007.

1. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

please help!)

what are some of the basics I need to know?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Give me two minutes and check back. Let me find you some stuff.

For starters though, is it a club or a competitive team? Call if you need to and find out; it will make a difference. Is there already a team or are you starting one. Finally, where in FL are you? (feel free to PM me if you want to :) )

Be right back!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Here's the website for the National Catholic Forensic League. (Nope, not just Catholic schools. The NCFL tends to be more active on the eastern half of the country, the NFL on the west... I'll get you that one in a minute.) http://www.ncfl.org/

Go down to where it says "competition events"-- there's a description of each there for you.

Here's the NFL: http://www.nflonline.org/Main/HomePage

If you're starting a team, you want the NCFL-- there's less record keeping and it's generally a WHOLE lot easier.

Take a look here http://www.ncfl.org/members/ballotscritiques/ballotscritiques.html

at the critiques for each event. They describe to you what the judges are looking for-- they pretty much tell you the parameters of each event.

Florida has several different districts: here's the judge's manual for one: http://www.nfcfl.org/judge manual/Full_Judge_Manual_August_28_2004_Release.pdf You can probably find a contact person on their home page so that you can speak to someone in your district.

Forensics is, in my humble opinion, one of the most important extra curricular activities offered in high school. Colleges LOVE it on applications.

OK, I'll let you digest all that info. Let me know how else I can help :)

5. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Jul 18, 2007

As for the basics...
    How do you practice for a competition throughout the year?
    How many students are usually on a team?
    Am I to assume that the students who are in my Speech/Debate class are in the club?
    What will I need to fundraise money for (if anything)?

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

In NY, competitions are normally on Saturdays, from 9 till about 6 ish. That may not be true in your league.

As to the number of kids on a team, that also depends. Check with your local league; the president can give you some idea of just how many kids you have.

My school doesn't have a S&D class. But I would think that's probably a good assumption.

We don't do fundraising, again, that's a school issue.

I think that, on one of the links I PM'd you, you had kids qualifying for the national finals last year. So you may be walking into a well oiled machine.

Let me see what else I can find for you. Start by printing up the critiques so you'll know a description of each event.

Then, what I think I would do is this: geta binder (a big one) and some section dividers. Make one section for each event. Over the next few days, familiarize yourself with the different event and start looking for pieces. (For example, in declamation, one of the local standard pieces is the Elizabeth Glaser AIDs speech. You can find it online, I'm sure) Be sure that the pieces are legal-- that Declamation pieces were actual speeches that someone gave, that Oral Interp pieces include one prose, one poetry, and so on. The most basic rule is that you can cut anything OUT of a piece, but can't insert anything not in the original. Start coming up with some pieces to introduce to your new team. That in and of itself will show them that you're serious about this. That could be part of what you assign in your speech class too: have the kids research online and come up with pieces.

Debate is an animal unto itself. Check with your league and find out whether they do "LD" or "Policy" debate... I'm guessing it's LD. That's Lincoln Douglas debate, where you debate a value issue; you don't have to come up with a plan to solve a problem or produce any evidence. There are some LD topics on this thread so you can see what I mean: http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=40005&highlight=debate

OK, I'm SURE you're on info overload by now. Take some time to digest it and let me know what questions you have.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2007

Now I really, reeeeally wanna be in Mrs. A's class.

Thanks, Alice.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2007

Thanks TG.

I competed as a kid (and went to Nationals... with laryngytis!!!) and coached for 18 years.

It can be a completely overwhelming thing to start. But I think it's the best extra-curricular activity out there (especially for anyone who is thinking about teaching.)

9. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 18, 2007

I second that notion!

10. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

In Texas, debate tourneys are held Friday starting around 2ish and Saturday. It could go on late into the night depending on how good your kids are.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

Yeah, different leagues do it in different ways.

Do you coach?

12. mrs.sparker

mrs.sparker Rookie

Jul 19, 2007

No, I wish I did. I just did debate in HS and judged all through college. I figure if I get in a bind this year I might judge some more. I actually enjoy it. I'll be teaching 7th and 8th grade this year so debate isn't exactly an option.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 19, 2007

It's a GREAT way to find a job.

I'm convinced that my first math teaching job was a direct result of 4 years of Extemp!!

14. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Jul 20, 2007

My brother Mark is rather well known as an Extemp Champion- Beach High- graduated in 1985- If any of you know him... Small world! I did oratory and Dramatic Interp. Because of Speech and Debate I can read stories in character and can present to large crowds... I used to be tested every week on the NEWS, We were required to watch dan rather, and take NOTES. Then on Friday, we had a test on the info!
    You will need to find out specifically HOW you are to raise funds to attend the competitions. Also, you need to supply time keepers, judges, and possibly to HOST tournaments on site..