SPED Thesis

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by zerb, Jan 26, 2015.

1. zerb

zerb New Member

Jan 26, 2015

Hello all! I am trying to think of a good thesis topic but am having a hard time. A colleague of mine keeps saying I should do RTI but I honestly have no interest in writing a thesis about RTI. Other people are saying I should do somethingg with autism, but autism is such a huge topic I wouldn't know what to concentrate on.

Here are some of my ideas so far:

the correlation between teacher attitude/satisfaction and student outcomes

quality of SPED teacher evaluations (should they be held to a different standard?)

long term effects of early intervention

inclusion (politically correct or educationally sound)

and canine therapy for students with social/emotional disabilities

What do you all think of these topics? Can you think of any different ones? Thanks!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 27, 2015

What is your major?

Pet Therapy for Students would be a good topic - you could also touch on how it benefits regular students who are struggling readers as well. You could touch on how pet therapy is used in hospitals to help with morale in hospitals, etc.

You could do something on autism about the benefits of mainstreaming a student with autism - could help them socially if they are higher functioning enough to only need support from, let's say, a para in the gen ed classroom (Or maybe resource room 1-2 times a day)

4. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jan 27, 2015

I think those are all fabulous ideas for a thesis. My favorites are the quality of SPED teacher evaluations and the effect of teacher attitude and satisfaction on student outcomes.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Jan 27, 2015

I'd go with canine therapy. Mainstreaming - good topic but for me it's like doing a thesis on RTI. Already a great deal written on it. Canine therapy is pretty unique. You can look at laws regarding service animals in schools, types of disabilities served, studies done on the therapy - should be some recent studies, types of training for the dogs, breeds, who pays for dog food, etc. The key on this topic is that it is current.

If you don't pick that one let me know, I'll go back to school and write a thesis on it. :)

6. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2015

Along with canine therapy, there is also horse therapy. Might be interesting.

7. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

I think any of your ideas are great for a thesis... A couple things to consider would be:

the correlation between teacher attitude/satisfaction and student outcomes (This study has probably been done before. You could use a new instrument to determine teacher attitude, but how would you rate student outcomes?)

quality of SPED teacher evaluations (should they be held to a different standard?) (How would you access the quality of teacher evaluations?)

long term effects of early intervention (I might avoid longitudinal studies. This would work if you had access to a group of student who attended early intervention programs and were now older.)

inclusion (politically correct or educationally sound) (This might be a tough one to research because of IRB concerns. Also, you might have trouble receiving site permission to research because of the potentially negative connotation of the research topic)

and canine therapy for students with social/emotional disabilities (I think this topic is really interesting. I would try to find a program which is implementing this therapy. There are a number of ways you could research this topic)

Hope that helps,

Adam

8. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 27, 2015

Could do a thesis on the effects/benefits of animal therapy on students with special needs.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2015

I think that a thesis on canine therapy, or animal therapy of any kind, would be very interesting to read. I bet if would be very interesting to write as well.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2015

Equine therapy can have impact on verbal, personal, intellectual, and physical skills that many SPED students have need of. It works well with many CP students, autistic students, many of those with neurological involvement, and even ED/BD, teaching empathy. Many school districts will pay for this now, so a real consideration.

11. zerb

zerb New Member

Jan 27, 2015

Wow, thank you all so much for your feedback! I'm honestly surprised canine therapy was so popular. Right now that's what I'm leaning toward. I like that it is unique but there is still research available about animal therapy. Plus I can combine 2 things I love, dogs and children with special needs! I considered equine therapy as well, but I like dogs more because you can bring them into the child's environment. I also know of a local shelter that uses some of their dogs as reading buddies in local elementary schools.

Someone asked, when I'm done I'll have an M.Ed in Special Education with a concentration in K-12 Modified (soon to be called interventionist in TN). Thanks again everyone! I'll run it by my instructors and see what they think.