Sped privacy laws for online learning

Discussion in 'General Education' started by paulpaffett, Apr 13, 2020.

1. paulpaffett

paulpaffett New Member

Apr 13, 2020

Sped director sent out a lengthy communication tonight and I'm freaking out. Among the multitude of things she wants us to, one is to record videos and make assignments for our students and then put them into the general education teacher's google classroom or Seesaw. We won't have our own- we'll be added as "teachers" to the classroom teachers' classes. Let me preface this by saying I know squat about either of those apps. My "regular" school day is 100% direct instruction and I would never pull kids out and stick them on a computer, normally. So maybe there are safeguards that I just don't know about? I have big concerns about videos/assignments meant only for certain students being just dropped into a gen ed class where everyone can see them, seeing as how they're normally so strict with our privacy laws. Will I just label them things like "Ms. Haley's assignments" and tell my families separately they need to look at those? Or "review assignments" and say that anyone in the class can access them, but tell my families separately those are their IEP things? Has anyone else figured out anything related to student privacy?
    https://dirtywonk.com/

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 13, 2020

I don't know the answers to your questions, but I would recommend reaching out to the SPED director to see how she wants you to title and post your assignments. The best thing to do right now is to follow your administrator's directives.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Apr 13, 2020

My SED co-teacher posts modified assignments in my Google Classroom. We are 1:1 Chromebooks, so we use them pretty much daily.

When you put an assignment into Classroom, it isn't viewable by everyone unless you make it so. She and I see everything that is posted, but each student only gets the assignments that pertain to him/her.

In my SED classroom today, there are 9 students who have the regular, non-modified assignment. The other 11 students all have an IEP, and there are four different modified assignments, each assigned to only the student who is supposed to do it.

Classroom has quite a bit of freedoms in assignments. Nobody ever sees things unless you want them to!