SpEd Paperwork Organization Tips?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jedipwnces, Sep 6, 2009.

1. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

So, I'm a brand new Special Education Math teacher in a middle school. And I'm already overwhelmed with planning for four preps/modifying for 2 inclusions. But I cannot seem to find a good way to organize my IEP information for these kids. I have folders on all of them, but it's so inefficient... if I need to know who gets to use study aides, I have to flip through every single folder and check every IEP. Our SpEd manager program doesn't really have a database query option. It seems to be good for individualized IEP manipulation (like changing goals and objectives for the next ARD), but still, if I want to know specific goals or objectives, I have to look up every kiddo individually.

I'm already at work for A BILLION HOURS A DAY. Does anyone have a tried and true organizational system they would like to share? My biggest class is a 6th Fundamentals of Math with 12... so my numbers aren't outrageous. I'm just... disorganized, I guess.

Help, help! :eek:

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Sep 6, 2009

Can you take the time to sit with a notebook and each file to make the notes that you think are most important to you? Then take the information back to your computer & make a spreadsheet with the info for all the kids on one page. That way you're only looking at one page per class instead of all the files.

I make a spreadsheet every year with my class list. I separate it by first name, last name, homeroom, DOB, disability category, ETR date, ETR due date, IEP date, IEP due date, and related services. I can easily sort it by whatever info I need. I'm trying to figure out how to link the goals for individual students to this original spreadsheet. If I can't figure it out, then I will create a sheet for goal documentation for each student to keep in my master binder. I keep a 3" data collection binder with a class section in front, and a section for each student. Perhaps yours would work best if you had a binder for each class since you have different preps. You could keep the class info in the front section, and each kid has a section with any data that you've collected, and goal documentation sheets. I would probably do this in a MS setting instead of my current system (I teach 4th grade only so I only have to keep up with one group of kids...18 of them, but all one grade).

Good luck! It has taken me 9+ years to work out what I do, and it is still an evolving process. Sometimes you just have to go with something for a year, and try new ideas as you get them. I was horrible at data collection my first years as a teacher. It's been a goal of mine to improve for the past 3 years. Keep reading here, I've gotten lots of ideas from the other posters!

4. jedipwnces

jedipwnces Rookie

Sep 6, 2009

Thanks for your advice... I'm going to try using a spreadsheet approach. It sounds efficient-- maybe I can have one for each class, so I'll be better able to put the kids in appropriate groups based on modifications and accomodations.
    :haha::thanks: