SPED hiring in Houston, on permit?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by kaymurr, Sep 23, 2007.

1. kaymurr

kaymurr Rookie

Sep 23, 2007

Is anyone in the Houston area who can help me out here? I'm in an ACP, recently relocated here and just about to really hit the job hunt. I'm "conveniently located" at the intersection of Katy/CyFair/Alief, but can also pretty easily get to West HISD, Spring Branch, maybe even Fort Bend if necessary.

I have some experience in secondary Eng/Lang Arts, but really want to get into Special Ed. I am awaiting scores on my content exam to hit the pavement but I got 97/120 so I'm expecting to pass. I've also passed the EC-4, and am qualified to take the 4-8 Generalist and/or 4-8 Eng/Lang Arts.

What I'm wondering is, what area of SPED do I have the best chance of breaking into? Elementary Resource, Inclusion, Life Skills...or maybe middle school ELA Resource? I wish we had gotten here before school started to improve my odds a bit. And does anyone know which district I have the best chance with? Besides, "NOT Katy"...I do know that.:lol: My interests are wide open so I don't mind considering different areas of the field, but I don't want to spead myself too thin or look indecisive by applying all over the place and telling them I'm open to everything. I figure some areas have to be more hard-hit than others.

Thanks in advance!!!

3. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2007

I would say - if you are open to it - apply to EVERYTHING you see. It's a tough market these days! I am in San Antonio, but I know that when I was job hunting (also after school had started) -- I was lucky to even get interviews. It's very few and far between that there are schools with positions that still have not been filled. Your best bet would be to take the SPED EC-12 exam, EC-4 you've passed, also take the 4-8 generalist. This way you are VERY marketable. You can apply to middle schools, elementary schools, life skills, inclusion, etc. I know a lot of schools are trying to get rid of resource, but I still think it's a valuable part of the "range" of services that are provided to special ed students.

As long as your interests are wide open - if you see a position that's open - apply for it!