SPED Class Name - Acronym?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by teachersk, Jul 22, 2007.

1. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I made a similar post in elementary.

I am having a hard time coming up with a good acronym for my special education classroom setting.

I have a small self-contained classroom with kids of varying abilities. To "Qualify" for my room, the students have to be two or more grade levels behind academically and/or unable to be successful in the mainstream setting due to severe behaviors or learning differences (my kids are AU, MR, SI, LD, ED, ADHD, ODD, etc.)

We have Life Skills at my school, but my class is slightly higher then the life skills program. On our website, my class is listed as "Other." On our school supply list, it has all the grade levels, then life skills, then "Mrs. _____'s Class." We have no name!

Are there any other special ed teachers out there who work in a similar cross-categorical setting like I do that have a neat acronym or name for their program? Or know of a similar program at their school?

I was thinking something like... ABLE -- but then I can't think of what the acronym could be........

I just want to have a name for my specific class so that in the newsletters, parent notes, etc. it doesn't say "Self Contained Class" or "Special Education Cross Categorical Class" - I'd like something that rolls off the tongue and sounds a bit more positive.

Any ideas??

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

Not exciting, but my class (which sounds like a similar make up) is the Student Support Centre. Hopefully someone will come up with something more interesting.

4. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

Do your kids stay in your classroom all day long? Or do they come in and out? The reason I am so interested in "naming" ourselves is because we are an actual class. It's not a "Resource" type class (even though it is called that sometimes) - but more of an "academic life skills" class.

5. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 22, 2007

I have some friends that teach in the developmental program.

6. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

We have an "Achieve" program at the HS level--basically the higher-level life skills students. The class "above" that academically speaking goes by "Aspire" (not sure the meaning of that acronym).

Our life skills go by "PACE" : practical academics and community education. That might not be quite what you're going for.

7. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

I like Aspire! I wish I could know the acronym for that! Do you think it's on your district website or something? Or is it an individual title that the school came up with? Aspire sounds really cool to me.

8. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

What about: ACHIEVE Action, Common sense, Hard work, Imagination, Energy, Vision and values, Enthusiasm

?
    Kind of a mouthful... That's kind of the idea of what I'm looking for...but maybe not so confusing.

9. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

or:

STARS Students Taking Action and Responsibility for Success
    STARS Students Tapping Academic Resources for Success

10. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

ABLE Achieving Beyond Limited Expectations
    ABLE A Better Learning Experience

Do those sound derogatory?

11. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

AIM: Achievement, Imagination, Motivation
    or Achieve, Imagine, Motivate

so far I like STARS: Students Taking Action and Responsibility for Success

Haha, I'm filling up my own thread.

12. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

How about these?

GOAL- Goal Oriented Achievers Learning
    GIFTS- Giving Instruction For Total Success

13. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

oh, I like stars! That's a good one. Don't worry, I would fill my own thread too. lol

14. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

LEAP Learning Edge Academic Program
    LEAP Learning Exploring and Participating
    RISE Reaching Independence Through Support and Education

What do you like out of all the options I highjacked my own thread with?

15. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I couldn't find on our district website if "Aspire" is an acronym, I'll see if I can find anyone who knows at summer school tomorrow.

I'd prob stay away from the "limited expectations" line
    I like both your STARS--what's your age level?
    It could be cool to come up with a couple options you like and get the kids' opinions on them.

16. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

I like the "RISE" acronym words, although how does "RISE class" sound when you put it on a newsletter . . .

17. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 22, 2007

To be honest, the kids probably won't care. They don't even know they are different then the rest of the kids! That's why I am really thinking about this because I'd like to come up with a name that is not derogatory or silly. I currently have one third grader and four fourth graders. But, my classroom is considered K-5, that's just the luck of the draw this year. So far, I like RISE and STARS the best. I like the RISE words better, but I think STARS class sounds nicer.

?

18. nicegirl

nicegirl Comrade

Jul 22, 2007

So, can you think of a different acronym for RISE> I like your stars one alot, but I would consider changing it to Students Taking Active Responsibility for Success... just my opinion.

19. Faips

Faips New Member

Jul 22, 2007

Name for your class

In my district we call my mixed category of special education students "Learning Support". It doesn't have a negative feel in my building - in fact, lots of the "regular" children want to come to my room!! When others ask what kind of room it is, I simply say "I help kids who have trouble learning to read or do math" and that seems to satisfy children and adults alike. I give support. Good luck finding a "name"!:angel:

20. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Teachersk---
    I have a class very similar to yours and my kids stay in (although a few are mainstreamed for ceratin academais, I am responsible for academics and life skills. I have k-5, mixed ability cross categorical.

In my district it is called AA Alternative Academics
    (the parents developed and pushed for the name)

21. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

What was it called before AA? The parents must have not liked what it was called before. I am curious!

22. hdmeza

hdmeza Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I belive it was Life Skills, but his is an affluent district and there is a huge portin of the day devoted to subject specific academic work so I think that fueled the change.

I have worked on both SES ends of special education and if you haven't please know that higher SES families resist labels and the ones they MUST have they want to be positive.

I know the principal did tell me the parents were the driving force behind the change and the name itself.

However they do have other programs such as PASS (behavior only) and SUCCESS (Autism only) within the district.

23. teachersk

teachersk Connoisseur

Jul 26, 2007

Do you know what the PASS and SUCCESS acronyms stand for? I believe I am going to use STARS - it can just be used in a million different ways. Students Taking Action and Responsibility for Success. I think that encompasses academics, life skills, behavior, etc. Our behavior programs are called BAC - behavior adjustment class. We also have BMC - behavior modification center. We have life skills in my district, specifically, in my school! My kiddos have either "graduated" from life skills or are slightly (slightly!) higher than life skills. They have the ability to work mostly on academics, just at a very low level (most 2-3-4 grade levels behind... 4th grader on PK or K level, etc.). Our school sometimes calls my room "resource" - but we truly are not a resource classroom, as my kids are self contained and do not receive any instruction in the regular ed setting. I wish our district would have an autism only program, I think it would benefit a lot of kids. I do know that a few of my parents do not want their kids to participate in ANY of the activities that the life skills kids partake in (they don't want their kids to be "life skills" kids...) But, we do join together as classes (our rooms are attached, you could consider my room the "high functioning" room) -- to do certain cooking projects, movie dates, and special olympics stuff.