Specials classes-how long are they?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jan 11, 2011.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Are your specials classes the same amount of time as your academic classes? I am curious because we are extending our school day next year, and I am wondering if it would be better to allocate the extra minutes to academics only. What is it like at your school?

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 11, 2011

Our specials are 40 minutes except for P.E., it's an hour. Are they giving you a raise when they extend your day?

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

They didn't say anything about a raise. How does one respectfully bring that up???

5. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 11, 2011

Our specials are 40 min W-F. T no Specials and M it's 1 hour every other Mon.

Our day was extended this year by 20 min and we did NOT get a raise.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 11, 2011

Oh boy. I have a feeling we will not get a raise above what our normal raise is to be. That's just a feeling, but I don't know for sure. TeacherApr, what was their reasoning in not giving you a raise? Or was it not discussed?

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

We have 40 minutes of specials daily and 40 minutes of PE daily, but no recess.....

Tami-do you have a contract? I would check to see if it states how many hours you can work in a day. Also check how much plan you must get a day. Our school could extend our day by 40 minutes without giving us a pay raise. We get 2 40 minute plans a day (specials and gym-one is a team plan and one is individual). But we also have 40 minutes before school starts that is usually for meetings. The district would either need to pay extra for meetings or just not have them anymore to extend our school day....

8. mkate

mkate Comrade

Jan 12, 2011

Here the day is split up into periods- some are 1 hour long and some are 45 minutes, and a special takes a full period-- some days it can be an hour and others 45 minutes. The state regulate how many hours per week you need to have for each subject-- for example, foreign language is 2.5 or 3 hours a week, depending on the grade.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jan 12, 2011

Art is 1 hour, once a week
    Library is 1 hour, once a week (but only 40 minutes of that time is with the librarian)
    PE/Music/Computers are 30 min., twice a week
    Our special class/planning time is for 1 hour total each day. The 30 minute classes are combined with another 30 minute class.

So my week looks like this:
    M: Music/Computers
    T: Library
    W: Art
    Th: Computers/PE
    F: PE/Music

10. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Jan 12, 2011

A district near me extended their school day this year and cut all professional days/teacher workdays. Specials are 30 minutes each day for them, but they also get a 30 minute lunch and 30 minute recess time daily. Teachers did not get raises-- in fact, they got pay cuts for the number of days lopped off the contract by extending the school hours and shortening the number of contract days.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 12, 2011

Our specials in elementary are 45 minutes.

12. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jan 12, 2011

We have an hour each day for "specials" Half an hour daily for PE and the other half hour is music or library.

13. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Jan 12, 2011

We have specials each day for 45 minutes. We only have to have team meetings every other Wednesday, but other than that we can use our planning time as we choose.

14. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 12, 2011

Each special, Art, PE, and music is 45 minutes. Music and Art alternate every other day, and when we have Art, we also have PE so some days we get 45 minutes of planning, other days we have two 45 minute periods... no lunch or recess break however-- our kids are with us for the rest of the day.

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Jan 12, 2011

No money....? Wasn't really discussed we were just TOLD our day would get extended in mid-July....

16. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

Specials? What are those? :(

My district: k-3 none; 4-5 50 min 2x week
    We do have 30 min for library 1x and 45 min 2x in computer lab for our math program, but teachers have to be with their class to supervise and help. We also have to teach our own PE.

17. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 13, 2011

AH! Teach your own PE?! What's one more lesson plan added to the pile, huh? :eek:

Please tell me you at least have a lunch break away from your darling students.

18. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 13, 2011

To be quite honest, I had never even heard of "specials" until I joined this website! No joke!!!

19. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2011

I am so sorry for those of you who don't have specials, or have to be with your kids during specials. Specials are my prep time, and I do everything during preps. I do not like doing more than I have to here at home (I plan here), so all activities that I put together is done at school, as well as grading. Where would I be without specials...How do you do it without specials, or having to supervise during specials?

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2011

I hadn't either--at least not that term. It is fairly common here for elementary teachers, particularly up to grade 3 or 4, to teach their own music, drama, visual arts and computer/technology.

21. hatima

hatima Devotee

Jan 13, 2011

all PE, music or art, library, and computers are 45 minutes. It has something to do with the contract for teachers. I think only PE is mandated that the teacher doesn't have to be there for the class. Music or Art (alternates every year-at the mercy of $$$$), computers, and library can require the teacher's presence or even instruction.

22. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jan 13, 2011

Specials is not what we would refer to it as here... but we have a half hour of PE three times/week, and a half hour of Music two times/week. That generally makes up our prep. Grade 4 classes and our grade 5 English class each have 2.5 hours of French each week, and often those teachers will teach something else while they're getting French (though sometimes they get extra preps)... for instance, usually the grade four teachers teach my class while I teach their French.

ETA: Library is a part of our class time, and we take our own class down sometime during our Literacy time. I have one of the grade four teachers take mine to the Library when I teach French... likewise, I have another grade four teacher teach my kids Art when I teach French (which I love because I HATE Art, but this teacher is AMAZING as an Art teacher... while he sometimes does some typical crafty stuff, he also has them doing some amazing stuff!)

We don't have a computer lab, so there's no computer class.

23. bros

bros Phenom

Jan 14, 2011

Here we have these once a week (except for Gym, which is twice a week) for 45 minutes a day (Counts as a prep). They are taught by the teachers of the respective subjects:
    Music
    Art
    Gym
    Computers

And then it alternates every other week between science and library

24. PEteacher07

PEteacher07 Cohort

Jan 14, 2011

My students come to the gym every day for 45 minutes and PreK for 30 minutes. Our other specials are on some weird rotating schedule where they will go to music/art/computers for a week everyday for 45 minutes and then they don't go for 3 weeks.

25. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Jan 15, 2011

Art, P.E., Guidance, and Library are each 30 minutes once per week.
    Music is 30 minutes 2x per week.

Unfortunately...Kindergarten is the ONLY class that continually misses their specials due to early outs for inservice and weather! :(

26. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jan 15, 2011

We have an hour of specials a day, plus another forty minutes for Spanish.

Monday - Computer/Music
    Tuesday - Library
    Wednesday - Art
    Thursday - Computer/Music + Spanish
    Friday - P.E.

27. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 16, 2011

Lynn, is this in addition to lunch and recess? Color me jealous!

28. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jan 16, 2011

Ya, I think its a CA thing to have no clue about "specials"

I spend/teach every minute of the day with my students except recess and lunch. Planning time is before and after school.

29. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jan 16, 2011

Yep. Don't be too jealous. I don't have any huge chunks of time to teach on most days. And some days I do more moving of children than teaching. There was one year when I had 2 hours of specialty classes plus 45 minutes of recess and lunch. :dunno: