Specials... By the Week

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 1, 2006

We have specials by the week now instead of changing every day. The first week of school, we have Art every day, and then the second week, we have Guidance every day, and so on. I like the idea a lot (because the teachers can have ongoing lessons and the art teacher can assign meaningful homework (because she really gets into having the students gather things from home)), but the only con is not getting exercise for the weeks the students have Art, Music, Math and Science Lab, and Guidance. What do you think?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 2, 2006

We have a state requirement for a certain amount of PE per week so that wouldn't work for us. Our specials all are varying amounts of time- so the week for art I would have so much more time for planning, etc than the week I would have spanish... I wouldn't like it. Why are math and science specials? Math should be every day, every week.....(or is it a math lab-in either case I think math should be integrated lab and lesson and should happen every day....) Nope, it wouldn't work for me.

4. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

We don't even get specials at our school. :(
    All we get is a 30 minute P.E. a day. By the time you drop them off and use the restroom, you already down to 20 minutes!! :eek:

If we did have specials, I like the way your school is doing it by week. I can remember at my other school, the students had forgotten what they were working on the week before or lost interest. I think it is a neat idea Can you provide exercise through a short recess or time outside?

5. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2006

Same here. Art and Music, what are those? Those have been cancelled so much. PE? That's not dependable and it never lasts as long as it's supposed to.

6. Teach2Inspire

Teach2Inspire Comrade

Aug 2, 2006

Those of you that have specials are very lucky!! In my school, our students really don't get much more than math and language arts. They are lucky is they get 10 minutes of PE per week. Enjoy while you can!!!:love:

7. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2006

It seems like such a long lapse in time til they get to that special again. I'm with czacza on this one.........I wouldn't like it at all.

8. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 2, 2006

As a music teacher I would be very unhappy with that system. I can't imagine ever being expected to have the students perform if they only came one week out of the month. THey would never get anywhere. Can you imagine having social studies for a week, then spelling for a week, then math, etc...when you got back to the beginning of the rotation would you really remember what you'd done several weeks before?

9. Ali

Ali Companion

Aug 2, 2006

I agree with musicteach and think her/his analogy is right on. The time between classes is too long.

10. 1stgradekids

1stgradekids Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

ok ok! I said the concept was neat, but after reading the other post, I have changed my mind. ;)
    Seriously, it does make sense as to why it would be a bad idea and the kids would have a long break in between a special. I know it would be hard on the specials teacher.
    I guess I am so out of touch with specials, since my kids don't go to them. :)

11. Jaicie

Jaicie Rookie

Aug 2, 2006

Thanks, Ms. Jasztal, for a very thought-provoking thread! It's great that you're open to the new schedule in your school! Please keep us posted on how it works for you and your students this year.

I do agree with Musicteach and Ali, though. I like my students having several specials each week. And I'm very thankful that specials are made a priority in Iowa. Honestly, I don't understand how other states justify NOT providing them. How do teachers get any prep time? How are students supposed to become well-rounded citizens? My 1st and 2nd graders get:

25 min. music lesson, 3 x per week
    25 min. P.E. lesson, 3 x per week
    50 min. art lesson, once a week
    35 min. library/media lesson, once a week
    25 min. guidance lesson, once a week

My friend who taught in New Mexico told me that they had only P.E. as a special. She did say, though, that they put much more money into Special Ed. than Iowa does. I think it's interesting that states allot different amounts of money to different things. In Nevada they aren't required to provide kindergarten to children, and because of this, kindergarten class sizes are huge, whereas 1st and 2nd grade class sizes are limited to like 18. (Apparently many parents send their kids to private kindergartens instead.)

Anyway, just my 2 cents worth. :) Sorry about the rambling ...

~ Jaicie

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 3, 2006

Math and Science is a lab in addition to the 1 1/2 hours of instruction the students already receive in both subjects in the classroom every day. In my own classroom, I integrate hands-on learning every single day, yet this adds to the instruction so much. :) The students complete experiments and do lots of inquiry learning. It is a special the students really enjoy, and one of my closest friends at school teaches it, so I've gotten to know a lot about what she does in there with the kids.

All specials are 40 minutes each daily, no matter what it is.

I never realized that some schools barely had specials, and I think that is SAD.

Yes, we can bring the students outside to get extra exercise for a little bit twice a week and then at recess once a week (I think).

I do not know the specials teachers' takes on this new system because of the kids only going every 4-6 weeks. I like it, and also it's hard. I don't like the thought of the students forgetting what they learned.

13. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2006

I guess that I am really lucky! My kids get 30 min of pe every day, and 30 minutes of specials 4 days a week (every day but Tuesdays).