Special tips to encourage enjoyment of reading and language

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Upsadaisy, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 14, 2017

Do you do anything a little different to encourage enjoyment of reading? Please let us all know.

One thing I used to do was to take a poll when we finished each read-aloud. The students voted up to five stars. When the poll was complete, we computed the average number of stars (restating the method for calculating the mean each time). I kept a pocket chart up to record the title and rating for each book. I loved when I would overhear kids talking about their favorite titles, what they liked, what rating they assigned. At the end of the year, we would see which titles were the highest rated of the year.

vickilyn likes this.
  3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2017

I do lots of book talks. I aim for 1 a day, but sometimes that slips. I encourage the students to do book talks as well. We keep a posted list of books and who has recommended them.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 15, 2017

On every spelling test, the last question was, 'What is your favorite word on the list?"

5. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Aug 15, 2017

When we have a little time I show video book trailers. I also book talk books I've finished and then lend them out to kids.