Special Meals for Your Dog!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, May 28, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 28, 2009

Are there times when you feed your dog something special or unique to break the monotony from his/her regular food? If so, what occasions are they & what special foods do you feed?

Usually on most holidays, my dog's birthday of course, & sometimes out of the blue, I'll cook scrambled eggs for my dog or give him ice cream or yogurt. There's been a time or two when I've gotten a plain chicken patty or strips from the fast food place & cut them up for him! I LOVE my baby! :wub: But actually, not a day probably goes by when he doesn't get a small bit of human food, whether it's turkey cold cuts, cheese, cottage cheese, crackers, etc.

(I normally feed Deli Fresh, http://delifreshpet.com/ which needs to be refrigerated.)

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

May 28, 2009

We have to be careful because vet said she was too fat!! She has lost 5 lbs on green bean diet - less dog food and more green beans. She LOVES green beans.

Sometimes I will give her a little cottage cheese mixed with her dry food or some plain yogurt - she loves both. I think they just like a little variety!

I do buy piggy ear slivers and she is at a good enough weight to get one sliver a day, usually while the rest of us eat dinner. oh, and we ALWAYS give her a bite of her favorite food - banana - when we have one. I love my baby too!

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 28, 2009

Left over chicken and rice sometimes. Yogurt when they aren't feeling well. Mine love eggs, it's their favorite!!

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 29, 2009

I should cook my dog a little steak one day!

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 29, 2009

I wish I could spoil my cat. He gets the juice from tuna when I eat it - i can't even spoil him with a can of his own - he won't eat it, just licks up the juice. Otherwise, he will not eat people food at all. He is always interested, and I always give him a taste, but I end up picking it up off the floor later. He doesn't even eat most canned cat foods. He just likes his dry food. There are only one or two types of treats he will eat, too.

7. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

May 29, 2009

My cat would do anything for real chicken!!! When she thinks she's dying ( she thinks she is when she goes to the vet- almost died as a kitten- forced fed her) that's the only think she eats. Shrimp was way too rich and gave her tummy troubles. she also loves yogurt!

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 29, 2009

My dog has no idea he is a dog. He thinks he should get the same exact food that we do (when he doesn't he cries about it LOL). He gets his dog food but when we have certain meals he always gets his share. His favorites are chicken soup, chicken and rice, any kind of beef, any kind of barbecue and pizza. I told my husband that he is NOT allowed to have pizza but I think he gives it to him anyway when i'm not around:unsure:

9. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

May 29, 2009

Cats are lactose intolerant though yogurt probably has the enzymes they need to digest it.

My parent's dog goes NUTS for baby carrots. She will seek them out in the fridge if the door is open. Good thing is they are cheaper than dog cookies and MUCH better her. I'm very against dogs eating people food, especially processed people food - too much grease. But things like baked chicken or beef (no seasonings) or even raw (no it wont hurt them) are awesome.

10. lnm130

lnm130 Companion

May 29, 2009

Once a year my dog gets a whole hamburger to herself. We go at least once a summer to hike, and it is a 2 hour drive, plus a 8 miles hike. She is only 10.5 pounds and she walks it with us. She LOVES going, but when we grab food on the way home, we pick up a small plan hamburger for her, because she earns it! She also gets little nibbles of whatever I happen to be eating...we haven't found anything she does not like.

Just be sure not to feed your dogs grapes or raisins, as they can cause kidney failure. The green parts of the tomato (the stem/plant) are also poisonous as well.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 29, 2009

Yup, there is a whole list of things not to feed doggy. Raisins, grapes, chocolate, onions, macadamia nuts, alcohol, anything with Xyeltol (not sure how you spell it but it's the stuff in sugar free gum).

We have gotten fast food at times and given a bit to our dog. Any kind of fast food (chicken nuggets, hamburgers, etc.) makes him PUKE! Guess he knows better than we do what is good food and what isn't LOL

12. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

May 29, 2009

My dog was happiest when we had him on BARF (bones and raw foods) diet. We would take veggies, olive oil, and eggs and food process it into a green mess. That's his breakfast. For dinner, he would get a raw turkey leg. The dog loved it, never begged. We lost our source for the raw meat, but once we move we are going back to the raw diet.

13. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

May 30, 2009

My dog loves tuna, grapes (she eats the ones that drop on the floor before I can pick them up), eggs (especially boiled), and cat crap (YUCK-drives me nuts when she find it outside because it gives her an upset stomach). Also, I let her lick the cans that had some type of cream or sauce in it to prepare for recycling (love my canine can washer-however she won't touch the vegetable cans though). Ham gives her severe diarrhea (found that out by accident-it was a fun night taking her out every hour to go to the bathroom).

I am lucky that my dog is picky because usually if she wants something, she will find a way to get it. I remember one time that I left a dinner roll on the kitchen table and step out of the room. A few hours later, when I was ready to eat the roll, it was gone. She is smart enough to wait until I am out of the room to sneak some food/raw hide from the table.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

May 30, 2009

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 30, 2009

Our stores don't carry Deli Fresh but I had a coupon to try Fresh Pet select. It was in a little fridge in the dog food aisle, probably similar to the one you get. I picked it up today and I'll see if my little piggy...i mean doggy...likes it :lol:

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 30, 2009

TeacherNY, glad you're trying it. My dog eats it all up every time. I used to have to go to a feed store nearby to get it, but recently, Petsmart & Albertsons now has it, which I'm so glad about. Yes, the Fresh Pet Select is great too!

Let me know what your dog thinks! (Before I found out about Deli Fresh & Fresh Pet Select, I used to feed Canidae.)