Special Education?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by hp123, Apr 23, 2007.

1. hp123

hp123 Comrade

Apr 23, 2007

Is getting certified in Special Education a good option?

3. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 23, 2007

YES.

I specialized in special ed, and though I teach regular ed, my ESE certification made me much more marketable to principals when I was job-shopping.

Also, with the push for inclusion, it's to your benefit....not to mention the number of kids with disabilities that are NOT referred.

Go for it! My ESE classes were typically things that could be geared to general ed too (learning styles, etc.)

4. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 23, 2007

I should have asked:

Would ESE be your only certification?

5. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2007

Around here, there is such a shortage of SPED teachers that they rarely get general ed classes. If they do, I've known some that were pulled mid-year to fill SPED positions.

Every teacher (locally) that I've asked said don't get the SPED cert if you want a general ed job.

6. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Apr 23, 2007

My mother got into special ed after my father dumped her. She had previously been a secondary teacher of History and English. When she started looking for a job after the divorce, teaching jobs were scarce. So she got a special ed job in the Los Angeles Unified School District as a Home Teacher at first. She had a certain timeframe in which to get her Masters in Special Ed.

She said that her life began when she started in this specialty. She loved it! She did home teaching, then she did telephone teaching. She taught at a public school for girls who lived at a Catholic home for pregnant girls. Then she got into some other stuff, she really loved it. She said that the discipline problems were very minimal in Special Ed.

7. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2007

I feel like I have learned more in my special education classes about how to really teach than my eled classes! Good Luck if you decide to enter into the program ...I love mine! and I never thought I would want to teach special education.

8. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Apr 23, 2007

My degree plan does include a lot of special ed courses (18 hours). I do find it really interesting, but others' bad experiences have scared me off of getting my full cert. Also, you have to double major (sped and elementary), and I don't have the time.

If jobs are scarce in your area, or if you're interested in special ed, it would be a very marketable cert to have

9. ashley57

ashley57 Comrade

Apr 24, 2007

i have dual certification.

ESE is in need of teachers, but my heart is with SLD and other less "severe" disabilities.

There's a possibility that someone may want you in an ESE position, but if you're upfront about it, they won't put you somewhere you don't want to be (i.e. I did not want to teach EH so that was respected). That's been my experience anyway :)

10. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Apr 27, 2007

Well you guys are making me feel better about Special Ed. I just found out that I have to switch from 2nd grade to 1st (K-1transition) meaning that I will have some special ed students in my class. There will be a special ed teaching coming in and working with the students but I am worried about behavior problems. I found out one of the kids is going to be Austistic. If anyone has ever taught a transition class and has any advice I would apperciate it. Our county has cut are grade levels so everyone is getting moved around.

11. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Apr 27, 2007

Special Ed. is a wonderful option, but, as others have said, once you've got that certification, your SPED skills will be in such high demand that you will find it hard to move to a general ed. class--it's a major teacher shortage area.

That said, if you want to get a job after graduation--like, IMMEDIATELY, then go for SPED. Many school districts are in such desperate need of highly qualified SPED teachers that they will pay you signing bonuses, moving costs, down payments for houses, etc....

Every time I walked past the jobs bulletin board at my U, it was COVERED with SPED postings.

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 27, 2007

Another thing to think about--in some areas (like here) the trend is more and more to an in-class support model for students with Learning Disabilities. Although there will be assistance from a Special Ed teacher, a good working knowledge of the "ins and outs" of Special Education will be beneficial to all teachers.

13. Counz2BLiz

Counz2BLiz Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

Definitely SPed! I have have been subbing in all types of SPed high to low (severe) and with all ages from elementary to high school and have really enjoyed it, especially high school! I have had a great experience with it!

Best to you:)

14. Jill420791

Jill420791 Companion

Apr 28, 2007

Mrs. C thats what I am going to be doing next year. To quote you "Although there will be assistance from a Special Ed teacher, a good working knowledge of the "ins and outs" of Special Education . I am going to be teaching a regular 1st grade but will have some SPED kids they call it a k-1 transition class not sure why