Special Education Teacher on the hunt for a new job

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TeacherT44, Jun 1, 2013.

1. TeacherT44

TeacherT44 New Member

Jun 1, 2013

Hi everyone! I've been a special education teacher at a private special needs school for 6 years now (since graduating college). I've begun searching for a new job and want to make the move to teaching in a school district. First of all, I'm a bit nervous that my time in a private school setting may not be something a district is looking for. Can anyone give me insight into if this is true or not? And also, I was wondering if it would be beneficial to try to become a substitute in a school district in order to gain district experience and try to find district teaching positions later with that under my belt. Thoughts? I'm finding it difficult to hear back from districts (mainly applying through OLAS). Had one interview last week but haven't heard back as of yet. All thoughts, opinions and suggestions are welcome, thanks!

3. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Jun 1, 2013

Where are you in New York? You were a Special Ed teacher with your own classroom?

I think that teaching in a private school would still give you a leg up over someone who is subbing. IMHO, subbing would be a major step back for you. Those 6 years of classroom experience should be sufficient enough for you to be a very desirable candidate.

The problem isn't your private school experience, it's OLAS. I don't know anyone who has gotten a job through OLAS, and I've never been called for an interview for anything that I've applied to on there. I'm sure that some of the positions are legitimate, however, I've seen jobs posted on there that I knew were filled already by someone who already worked in the district. I'm sure plenty of people were applying to those "jobs" when the district already pretty much knew who they were going to hire.

That being said, I still apply to everything on OLAS, haha.

You need to go beyond OLAS in this case. Have you been sending out mass mailings of your resumes? Have you been checking monster.com and the newspaper in addition to OLAS? Have you filled out the online application for the schools in your area that may not use OLAS (some have their own dedicated online application that is separate from OLAS, not all districts use it). Have you tried emailing principals to let them know that you're interested in any potential openings?

4. kit_kate27

kit_kate27 Rookie

Jun 2, 2013

I think you can absolutely get a job!! I'm a SpEd teacher at a private school and not only am I looking to get a job in a public school, but I'm also looking to move states. I've so far gotten 8 job interviews in the state that I'm looking in. There's hope for you, I promise!!

5. Accountable

Accountable Companion

Jun 2, 2013

Come to Texas! If you can stand the heat (indoors and out) then there's a special ed job for you.