Special Education Questions....need help

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by SurfTeacher, Nov 2, 2006.

1. SurfTeacher

SurfTeacher Rookie

Nov 2, 2006

message deleted

3. biiiidy

biiiidy Rookie

Jan 9, 2007

Surf,

What text were you using for that class? (I'm curious... I'd like to read it!)

The five main components of PL94-142 are (in no specific order):
    1. The right to a Free & Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) in the Least Restrictive Environment (LRE)
    2. Parental involvement/parents are team members
    3. Non-Discriminatory evaluations
    4. The right to Due Process
    5. An Individualized Education Plan (IEP)

If memory serves me correctly, PL 94-142 was originally signed in 1975. Subsequent revisions have changed the wording (e.g. created person-first language), added to, and altered disability categories.

PL 94-142 was created as a safeguard for students with disabilities. Prior to the law being created, students with disabilities were often denied appropriate schooling, and really, had nowhere to turn. The goal of the law was to ensure that students with disabilities would receive an education, and essentially, an opportunity for independence and success.

For more information and/or clarification, please refer to:
    Smith, D. (2004) Introduction to Special Education: Teaching in an age of opportunity. 5th Ed. Boston: Pearson

good luck!

4. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Jan 10, 2007

Would you consider Zero-Reject or Child-Find as principles? Would they just fall under #1?

5. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Jan 11, 2007

I think the book probably wants you to expand on what it says for these questions. Like they give you information of what Gross/Fine Motor activties are and then you find a few more.

It depends on what age you are working with for sure.
    1 Example of Gross Motor would be dancing to a song on a topic you are studying.
    1 Example of Fine Motor could involve using tweezers, writing utensils etc.

Why would you think you need to observe and keep data? One big one would be for IEP forms!

Again it depends on a lesson I would say as far as adaptations. It also depends on the kids. Some ideas are priority seating, cutting down the list of problems in math (most kids do 20, this kid does 10), allow for verbal responses. etc.