Special Education Pre-K Planning Period

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Seich30, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 29, 2002

Does everyone out their get a planning period?? In my county, we don't because our students don't get art, music, p.e., etc.... We do have nap time, but that's only if you get everyone asleep. We used to get extra money, since we had no planning, until budget cuts.:confused:

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Jul 29, 2002

I teach an inclusion pre-k class in a public elementary school. We have rotating specials of Art, Music, PE and Media. We rotate so we get each special twice a year. The kids get 1/2 hour of special each day, the assistants attend special with the children and teachers get the 1/2 hour planning time.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 30, 2002

My "planning" is after the kids leave. By then I'm all wore out and usually testing someone or scoring the test, so I don't see that as planning. My principal said he would try to get my littles ones adaptive P.E. They aren't required PE until they are 5, but they need a change of scenery and I need a break. By the end of the year we were all about to go crazy. As for going outside, it was either raining, still wet from raining or to hot and humid and about to rain. It would be nice to have that break in the middle of the day or so to get some time to work on something else at school instead of home.

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 30, 2002

I can sure understand that you need a break if you aren't getting outside. We go out for an hour in the mornings, although it is too hot in Florida to be out for very long right now--we don't have hardly any shade on our playground. I guess my planning is after the kids leave too, but like you I'm usually worn out at that time. All the other teachers get the same after school plus 45 minutes during the day. Such is life--I'd rather be doing what I'm doing than anything else. My little darling are very special. Good Luck--have you started school yet?? We are in 3rd week--on the modified calendar--on 12 weeks--off 3 weeks.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 30, 2002

I go back on the 7th and the kids come back on the 12th. There is a school system in Alabama that started YESTERDAY! The only smart one so far is Mount Brook in Birmingham. It starts on the 20th, I think... LONG after everyone else.

I wish we were on the extended calendar. I guess that is like yours. Bigger breaks here and there and 6 weeks off during the summer instead of 10? I'd like to have a long break in the fall to go on vacation during the off season or in the winter.

7. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Jul 31, 2002

Yes, extended calendar sound just like modified. It is wonderful, we go for 12 weeks and then are off for three. So we have a 3 week break in October, and Feb-Mar, with 2 weeks at Christmas. It is great!!! We still get 6 weeks in summer. It amazed me when we started this calendar how much the kids retain. I started my year with 6 returning students--haven't gotten any new ones yet. I didn't have to teach the routine at all, they all remembered exactly what to do!!

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 2, 2002

I know the frustrations of trying to plan - there are always the one or two kids (most of the time autistic) that don't nap and they are one on one. It is frustrating and tiring. My paid 30 minute lunch break is used eating with the kids! I've kinda have gotten used to it, and I'm learning to relax more, and leave school on time when I can.