Special Education Job in Atlanta Georgia

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bnewsome, May 5, 2007.

1. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 5, 2007

I want to know if anyone out there can help me with specifics on how to locate a job in the school system in Atlanta. I have completed the certification test, completed applications and now I am told I am supposed to wait until a principal flips through applications and decides if you are what they want. I am not used to just waiting on someone to choose me. Please tell me there is another way. I thought there was a need in Special Education and that is what I want to teach. :p

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 5, 2007

I don't know how things work there, but I would forward my cover letter and resume to the principal of every school I was interested in. I wouldn't wait until they found me!

4. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 7, 2007

Exactly

That is exactly what I feel I should do as well. But I spoke with other professionals and they did not feel that was a good idea. I am going to work on that this week. Thank you.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 7, 2007

A lot of teachers send out resumes to the school where they will like to work - at least outside of Atlanta.

6. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 7, 2007

Good idea

I will definitely try this approach. Thanks

7. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 7, 2007

Complete an application with the school distrct of interest. Then check the site for specifics schools within locations that you find desireable. Email, fax and call to request an interview with the principal.If you wait on districts in this area to contact you, you will be waiting forever. They are very slow :eek: and competition is stiff.

8. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 7, 2007

Are you looking for a job with Atlanta City Schools, or any district in or around Atlanta?

9. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 8, 2007

Atlanta

I am looking for employment with Atlanta Public Schools because that is the area where I live and has the most need for children. But I am not limited to that area.

10. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

May 8, 2007

http://www.atlanta.k12.ga.us/content/employment.aspx

Word of caution, APS is very disorganized as far as HR. Please have patience with them. Make copies of EVERYTHING and document the times and people you speak with. The district is divided into SRTs. Please avoid SRT 2 and 3 at all costs.

You may be a bit happier with Fulton, Gwinnett or Dekalb (North Dekalb). The pay isn't a high but worth it in the long run.

11. bnewsome

bnewsome Rookie

May 8, 2007

Thanks

You know I have heard that mentioned many times and that is probably why the scores in APS are not very good. Thanks for the heads up.

12. goopp

goopp Devotee

May 8, 2007

I haven't checked special ed specifically, but there is a critical need for teachers in parts of Cobb, particularly S. Cobb (near Six Flags, Austell, Smyrna). You might want to check out their website.

13. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

May 8, 2007

bnewsome,

If you are interested in Newton County (I know at my school we have a MID self contained opening for grades 1-2).

Melissa