Special Education Internship - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Mom of 4, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Mom of 4

Mom of 4 Rookie

Oct 13, 2006

Hi there...

I need advice from anyone who has experience with or knowledge of how to find a paid internship in Orange County, California for Spec. Educ (SDC or RSP).

I am attending APU to acquire my spec educ cred.. I already have my preliminary multiple subject and cannot imagine student teaching without pay again!

The school has not been very helpful in advising those of us seeking a paid internship... they just keep saying - the jobs are out there.

So, any advice from those of you who have been there and done this would be outstanding!

Thank you so much,
    Mom of 4

3. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Oct 15, 2006

Go to the Santa Ana School District and the Garden Grove School District. They are the biggest school districts in Orange County and they should have something. Also you could try the CAPSES website and click on regions. They will list private special education schools in Orange County. CAPSES is the California Association of Private Special Education Schools. Also try any major school district in Orange County and look in the newspaper. They will often list special education jobs. If all else fails get a job as a sub teacher or an assitant and get your credential the traditional way. You might also try Teachers onReserve. They place subsitititute teachers in private schools and they deal with schools in orange County. They have a lot of private specail education schools on their list. Go on their website www.teachersonreserve.com to apply. Good luck! Terry G.

4. Lavender L.A.

Lavender L.A. New Member

Oct 16, 2006

Hello Mom of 4
    There are Special Education Teacher opportunities out there. I know of more than a few non-public schools seeking for teachers. However, there are moderate to severe...if you are in that area, try NPS.