Special Education-Highly qualified-Illinois

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MsTeckel, May 15, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 15, 2012

Ok so Im really really confused about the highly qualified thing in Illinois.

I did NOT complete my teacher prep program in Illinois, I did it online from the University of Phoenix. I took the AZ test, but never got my certification from them. I took my IL test and got my certification from IL. So with this, I come to find out, Im NOT highly qualified in Language arts.

I have a Type 10 special certification-LBS 1 endorsed...so a typical special education certification.

I currently have 4 years teaching experience in a non-public day school, according to the ROE, it counts. I just applied to move to my standard...

I just wonder if me not being highly qualified is keeping me out of a public school. I don't want links to the ISBE, Ive been there and been to the ROE and still confused.

As an elementary special education teacher, do you have to be highly qualified?

I can take the elementary/middle school content test to be highly qualified in all core subjects, but thats 85 dollars.

Also, working on getting my early childhood special education approval..Is there such thing about highly qualified in early childhood special education?

I know Im just grabbing at straws trying to figure out why I'm not getting interviews or public school jobs.

Thanks. Sorry Im just really confused and trying to enhance my chances of getting into a public school once I get my early childhood approval.

3. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 15, 2012

Have you tried calling the ROE? My local ROE is pretty helpful, so I suggest you try that.

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 15, 2012

yes, i got even more confused.

She told me to go through HOUSSE and go over my transcripts but don't think I'll have enough credits to be highly qualified in all core subjects.

5. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 15, 2012

Sorry, wish I could help.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 16, 2012

From what I remember the "highly qualified" matters if you are a teacher of record.

As for ECSE- it is an approval, but you can be HQ for EC.

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 16, 2012

and a teacher of record is just a regular teacher with all the responsibilities of a teacher right?

8. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

May 16, 2012

I think if you are self contained