Special Education Career...Current High School Student

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by eman_ekaf, Mar 29, 2009.

1. eman_ekaf

eman_ekaf Rookie

Mar 29, 2009

I'm at the point in my educational career where I need to beging thinking of what I'd like to do as my career. I've narrowed it down to two choices I think I"d really enjoy: emergency medicine or special education. Now, I've been told to take the medical career- it pays better. But, I belive that I'd really enjoy working in special education, especially with children (or teens) with autism or severe disabilities.

I've heard that the job can be very rewarding; at the same time very stressful. What are your views on this? What can I do to gain some insight and experience, to decided if it's something I'd like to look into?

Thank you!

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

Volunteer in the schools.

4. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 3, 2009

Try Volunteering In Classrooms of Moderate-Severe Disabilities!

For the high school student who wishes to become a special education teacher, volunteer your time with some of the varying classrooms which serves the needs of students with moderate-severe disabilities. Interview the staff in the classroom and ask them why they chose special education. Also, ask them what their day routine entails and try to get as much specifics as you can. Another thing, ask about the behaviors of the students and what they are allowed as helping the students use proper behaviors. I would suggest volunteering in these types of classrooms:
    multihandicapped (multiple disabilities, adapted education) students in wheelchairs, physical disabilities, profound retardation (functional levels below 24 months), diapered, require feeding (all grade levels) if possible

Autism (all levels) not just elementary- From adult down to preschool so you can see the REALITY of how they are all different and unique.

Emotional Disturbed (severe behaviors) all levels

Learning Disabilities (all levels)

This is will give you an understanding of where you might feel the most comfortable and what you're willing to work with. Also, ask the staff if they provide their own materials or do they make the materials for the students they provide support for. Be as specific and detailed because it will make more sense for you if this is the career choice. It's a LOT of paperwork too.

Aspieteacher
    I hope my suggestions did help.:dizzy:

5. SPED_Teacher

SPED_Teacher Rookie

Apr 8, 2009

I teach in a dual diagnose classroom, which mean I have students with Autism, multyple disability and some Emotional problems...

Before I became a teacher I was a teachers aid for three year and learned the ins and out about special edcuation, not all but enough...my recomendation is to do as i did, perhaps not 3 years but at least 1 year....

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 8, 2009

Get a job as a special education assistant first and take science classes. Then you can decide what field you would like.

7. JustJim

JustJim Companion

Apr 9, 2009

To add to what everyone has said, spend some time as a volunteer or paid employee working with people with disabilities in the community. "Outcomes" are something Sped teachers should keep in mind; this will give you experience with some of the possible outcomes.

And it can be a lot of fun (but don't tell anyone!).

8. eman_ekaf

eman_ekaf Rookie

Apr 10, 2009

Thank you for all the great answers! I'll continue looking further into the field.