Special Education Behavior Modification

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Sweetlg, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Sweetlg

Sweetlg New Member

Aug 10, 2004

:eek: Hello - I am a special education teacher. I will be having 6 Autistic / PDD students ages 5-7 in my class come September. I had used a simple penny chart last year with my higher functioning students and it worked like a charm. The only problem this year is that my students are a little lower functioning and their behaviors stem more from frustration than a behavior problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions for successful behavior modification with the Autistic population?

Thanks,
    Lauren :D

3. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 11, 2004

I would suggest lots more immediate rewards and praise, rather than long term or weekly award.

4. Sweetlg

Sweetlg New Member

Aug 11, 2004

thank you for yhe advice!

5. rrmay

rrmay Guest

Aug 11, 2004

Teacher

Hi Lauren,

I'm also a teacher of autistic students. My students are a combination of high and low functioning. I used a life skills chart very successfully last year.
    The life skills are things like respect, integrity, cooperation, ..i.e. rules for life. When they were displayed, students were given a token that collectively could be redeemed for a group reward. I used an educational movie and popcorn. I gradually raise the bar, (they barely notice it), they continue to do well. This is a brief response but I hope you get the gist of it. I hope this will help you in your decisions. Let me know..

6. Sweetlg

Sweetlg New Member

Aug 11, 2004

Very good ideas thank you! I will let you know! Lauren

7. cameron812

cameron812 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004

It is nice to see that you are talking about positive reinforcement, most places that use time-outs and such for behavioral modification and forget the positive reinforcement.

Research into the David Mandt behavioral management, the Pre-Mac method, or the TEACCH method of learning. TEACCH and Pre-Mac work well especially with Autistic individuals, Mandt is a good 'least-intrusive' general method of behavior management.

Autisitic individuals want rest breaks to do whatever they want. Verbal praise only works with Autistic people when they are high functioning enough to truly accept it, i.e. like Aspergers Syndrome as they are usually more statistical learners. Edibles work in small portions for most. Token economy is the best when implemented upon completion of task.

The faster the R+ (positive reinforcement) is given after the display of desired behavior the quicker the learner grasps the concept.

8. Sweetlg

Sweetlg New Member

Aug 16, 2004

Thank you for the advice, can I look up that type of program you are talking about at any specific website?? Thanks! Lauren

9. mymy1978

mymy1978 Guest

Aug 16, 2004

I need help

I need some help. I am a special education teacher who just recieved a new classroom of students and all was fine until I have a young down syndrome child that has functioning at about a 2 year old level and I am not sure what to do with him while I am trying to teach? He is not to the point of doing paper pencil work and he is in a classroom with 7 other children who are functioning at a kindergarden to 2nd grade levels. Please help if you can. I need some ideas.

10. cameron812

cameron812 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004

Sweetlg, check out www.mandtsystem.com, and teacch.com, or just google them. Pre-Mac is basically the strategy of work first then rest, candy, token, etc.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2004

mymy78re:child with "Downs"

I have experienced this. Do you have an aide? This child will need one on one or you will not be able to teach your class very efficiently. I did not have an aide but learned through classes that Downs children need very firm guidance as they DO know they are misbehaving and will run you ragged if you let them get away with it. When your other children are "writing", make him sit with them and just give him paper and a crayon. When you are reading, keep him next to you or on your lap. Do not let him take charge of your classroom or you will be sorry. Do you have a particular child who would be good in helping "watch" him? I did this and it really helped a lot...and the others learned a lot from this experience. Include him in all activities because that is how he will learn proper behavior. Remember to "enjoy" him...they are usually very funny and affectionate (but mischevious!)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
  12. mbjm9969@aol

mbjm9969@aol Guest

Aug 16, 2004

6 students with autism and PDD classroom

REWARD THE POSITIVE BEHAVIORS AND IGNORE THE MALADAPTIVE BEHAVIORS. At my school, our school psychologist writes the behavior plans and plans are geared towards when a student displays cooperative behaviors, they are rewarded every 15 minutes (+ or - 5 minutes) with positive reinforcement, which may include a piece of cookie, pat on the back, lotion, special sensory toy or whatever may be a special reinforcer for that particular student. We are also taught to reward a student with that "extra special reinforcer" when the student is working on a task and completing units of work. For example, if a student is identifying numbers and the plan states to reward for every 3 numbers the students identifies correctly, the student will receive a "powerful" reinforcer for identifying the numbers correcly. This particular behavioral modification has worked wonders for the students in my former class; I am now the educational director for the school. REINFORCERS ARE NEVER USED AS SNACKS!! Reinforcers are earned when a student displays cooperative behaviors. Good luck to you. Hope this was helpful.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2004

yikes...MALADAPTIVE and reinforcers...you will need more than an aide! All I could offer was my smile, patience and a lap!