Special Education and 1:1 technology and CBE

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Geoff, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Geoff

Geoff Guest

Jul 28, 2020

Hello all! This is my first post in this forum. I am here because my district is making several large-scale changes simultaneously. We have adopted Leader-in-Me as our social/emotional learning framework; a competency-based education (CBE) scope and sequence; 1:1 technology; and we purchased Schoology as our learning management system.

Now, a little about me: I am a resource special education teacher for 3-5 graders with learning and emotional disabilities. My district traditionally provides special education services at the elementary level via a pull-out model. With all of the district's changes, this feels like the prime time to change our delivery model to allow the kids with IEPs more time in the regular education environment. But, change to what? And how? I need to visualize and end before I begin the process of re-thinking my (and our) service delivery model. I don't want to continue doing what we are doing.

I am in need of ideas. How do you arrange special education programming in a 1:1, CBE school, with the goal of limiting pull-out instruction?

Thanks! And I look forward to responses.

3. NHSPEDMiddleSchool

NHSPEDMiddleSchool New Member

Aug 14, 2020

I have been a para for four years and a lot of the kids I was with were 1:1. We had a table or desk at the back of the room where we would sit during instruction then when the kids were let loose to complete what they just learned we would go to them or they would come to us in the back of the room for help. When applicable or in down time we would help the rest of the class as well. We usually had at least 2 para's in gen ed classes.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2020

Let me start saying that I may be misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve. It seems you are looking at this as a blanket policy for all students needing services. If I am wrong, you can disregard the remainder of my comments.

The goal should providing the least restrictive environment for each individual student which doesn't mean limiting pull-out instruction for the program as a goal.

Your delivery of instruction should be driven by the need of the individual student, not the delivery method you want to achieve.

With in your group of students who are pulled out you have various needs for pull out. Some will need the pull out just for the instruction that is so different than what is in the regular education classroom they need to be pulled out. Others need it for instruction and setting. Others need it to be away from other students or noisy environments that may trigger their sensitivities.

For some students 1:1 may allow for more time in regular education classes rather than pull out, but it concerns me that you are looking at it as delivery model.

Are you ready to split out this pull out group and staff the classroom for those whose LRE can now be push-in and have staff for those who still need pull-out?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    bella84 likes this.