Special Ed teachers ... assessments?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by Special-t, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 16, 2009

What assessments do you use for your students? I'm interested in finding out about assessments for Mild/Moderate and Moderate/Severe levels.

3. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

I teach in a private school, so the assessment requirements may not be the same as a public school. My students are students with Autism, so for most of them, I use the ABLLS (Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills). I would say this assessment applies mostly to students with moderate/severe levels.

Hope this helps!

Nicole

4. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Feb 19, 2009

I use many different assessments. I teach 4th grade LD/CD, so this is mild/moderate.

I use DIBELS, Wilson Assessment of Decoding and Encoding (WADE), Wilson reading sight word checks, Targeted Mathematics Intervention Diagnostic, and I also use informal things. I have a Pre/Post Test from a capitalization & punctuation book that I use, and another math assessment which has a few problems of many different concepts, and of course the standard quarterly assessments, as well as weekly spelling tests, and daily math fluency tests.

Hope this helps!

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2009

Thanks to you both - I really appreciate the information.

6. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

In CA they use KTEA for mild/moderate disabilities, and Brigance for moderate/severe. There is also different Brigance (depends on the developmental level).
    In CA there is a annual state exam called CAPA for students that are on the alternate curriculum.

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 20, 2009

I'm required to use regular standardized assessments that the general ed classes use, even for my children who are 3 or more years below grade level. For my own purposes, I can use KTEA and Brigance. It just doesn't count as the required assessments for annual progress.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 20, 2009

We use the Brigance or PEP-3 (Psychoeducational profile). These students have Autism or other developmental disabilities (severely delayed). I can give you a description of each test if you like.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 20, 2009

Your responses are so helpful.

Thank you for the offer of details, TeacherNY, but I don't need them at this time.

10. SocWkr-Tchr

SocWkr-Tchr Rookie

Feb 20, 2009

I use the Jamestown Readers comprehension assessments.

But I hate them and so do my students, so I'm looking for other ideas.

11. MsTMC

MsTMC New Member

Feb 22, 2009

For an annual IEP, I use John's Reading Inventory to test for grade level comprehension and fluency.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Feb 22, 2009

What grades do you teach MsTMC? I bought this book last year but haven't used it:blush:. There just seems to be so much to this test and it seems like it will take so much time to administer it. I just end up giving my students the PM Benchmark test.