Special Ed teacher with ZERO reading resources... please share ideas

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by jessiiteach, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jessiiteach

jessiiteach Companion

Oct 7, 2016

I wish I didnt leave behind every single resource I acquired, accumulated, or made over the years when I moved from my state. I took for granted that every school provided a wealth of material and had a library blooming with books.

The school that I am at wants to offer teachers freedom, and probably save a lot of money, but I struggle so much to learn the state standards and pacing, as well as learning how to effectively teach special ed and do IEPS...

I am just in need of ideas for cost effective ways to properly serve my students. I only need help with reading ideas for third grade. To teach reading I need things for them to read! I feel like a first year teacher right now.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2016

Honestly, I would just invest Reading A-Z, if reading materials are really all you need... unless you have a copy limit, as you'll need to make a lot of copies. https://www.readinga-z.com/

You could also try teacherspayteachers.com, but that's going to be more skill-by-skill.

ecteach and Leaborb192 like this.
  4. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 7, 2016

I was going to suggest Reading A-Z also, as long as you either can make unlimited copies or you have technology available (we have 1:1 i pads, so I airdrop the books to the students on those so I don't have to print them out). They have a two week free trial so you can see if it works for you first.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 7, 2016

I didn't know that you could airdrop books... That's cool!

6. TIRCO

TIRCO Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

How do you air drop books? We have 1:1 iPads too but I'm not allowed to put any apps on them. :-(

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 14, 2016

Download the book on your I pad. Tap "open in" and then choose an app. I use notability but you should be able to use anything. I think i books is automatically on every i pad right? Then just make sure all the kids have their air drop on and their availability set to everyone, swipe up when you're on the book in the app and the screen to air drop to nearby devices will come up.