Special Ed substitute needs opinions and advice

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by oldstudent, Mar 6, 2014.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 6, 2014

I have been subbing frequently in special ed classes over the last 16 years, in addition to regular ed.

I enjoy it, and have been on the requested sub list by some teachers as a preferred sub.

I was even asked this year, by the special ed coordinator, to take over a class at the beginning of this year until a permanent replacement could be found, but I got the message too late.

Last month, however, I worked for a teacher with an aide who had an obvious dislike for me. She was cold and distant throughout the day, and even snapped at me during a difficult moment.

Today I was called in to meet with the district superintendent because I was written up by the principal for not following proper procedure in this class, and for a poor evaluation in a regular ed class at this same school two months ago.

This is baffling because I do not dramatically change things from class to class.

How is it that I am the number one sub at one school, and get written up for not following procedure at another?

I would like to know exactly what procedure I did not follow, but I am not sure who to contact.
    Should I ask the superintendent who I should get details from?
    Should I call the special ed coordinator, who thought enough of me to request me to start a class?

I was told by the superintendent that after one more " strike"( I have two), that I could be released.

Such is one of the plagues of subbing. You do not get rewarded for the good, but you get punished for the bad.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2014

I would start with the special education coordinator and see if they can't give you more specific facts. I know that different schools in the same district can have different procedures though.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2014

Ask the superintendent when you meet with him.

5. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 7, 2014

I already met with the Superintendent, but I would also like to speak with the Special Education coordinator.
    The Superintendent is higher up the ladder than the SP coordinator, so I am wondering if I should first contact the Superintendent again to arrange my conversation with the SP coordinator, or should I just e- mail the coordinator without checking with the Superintendent?

I should have brought this up in our meeting yesterday, but I did not yet think of it.

Since I have only received positive feedback in Special ED up to this point, I believe they owe me a more detailed explanation as to what procedures were not followed, especially when my job is at stake.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 7, 2014

So the whole purpose of the meeting was to discuss the fact that you didn't follow school procedures, but you didn't think to ask which procedures you didn't follow?

I'm clearly not understanding something here.

7. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 7, 2014

I asked her rhetorically, confident that there was no specific answer, but she offered no details.
    She merely read the information that was given to her, or that which she chose to dictate.