Special Ed. Resource Class

Discussion in 'Behavior Management Archives' started by Pencil Monkey, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Oct 8, 2005

Can anyone give me some tips on how to keep a special education class quiet? I'm a first year and I have a resource teacher in the room with me. But I don't know much about working with groups like this. I have tried rewards and punishments for talking. But nothing seems to work for these kids. The worse is trying to get class started. It takes 10 minutes to get this class to settle down and get to work. They have bellwork that they should start as soon as they walk in. They continue to fail to do it despite me checking it daily.

:confused:

I am so frustrated with this class. Can someone give me some ideas here?

3. Eki75

Eki75 Rookie

Oct 11, 2005

The first tip is to treat the kids as you would any other kids--not as "special ed kids."

Having said that, examine your positive and negative consequence system. If they are not doing what you want, evidently that consequence system should be looked at. When a student DOES come in and begins what is expected of him or her, shower him with genuine positive praise.... "Thank you Joe for starting your assignment." When a student does not follow suit, explain that if he/she CHOOSES to remain off task, he or she can expect to receive (insert negative consequence here.)

The best advice I can give is try to give 3 or 4 positive consequences for every negative one. That may seem daunting at first, but it really does work. Usually our kids crave positive attention, so they will do what is expected of them to get it. One strategy that has worked especially well for me is a "bonus buck" system. I award "bonus bucks" to students for behavioral or academic excellence. They can cash these in for school supplies and various other amenities. My middle schoolers LOVE this for some reason, and the best part is that they don't like to spend their "bucks." They'd prefer to see how many they can get! lol. Another good strategy I use is award the class positive points for collectively being on task and exhibiting good behavior--once they reach a certain number, they get a special reward. I have their goal at 250 positive points and when they reach it, they will get a pizza party with a celebrity guest speaker. The points also work as peer pressure class management--when several students are off task, I give negative points that take away from their pot. If the class period ends with negative points, they have to stay after class one minute for each point they're in the hole. I have found this make the class really self regulate.

One of the negative consequences I have found VERY effective is an immediate phone call home. This works especially well with foul language. When Johnny told me I could go *eff myself, I whipped out my cell phone and dialed right there in front of the class. "Hello, Mrs. So and so? This is Mrs. Eki: Johnny's math teacher. I wanted to let Johnny tell you what he just said to me." I then hand the phone to the student and make them tell their parent or guardian. Man, it works like a charm. It gets the parents involved in holding the student accountable and it really deters other inappropriate behavior from other students. All I have to do is get my cell phone out and put it on my desk and my class is good as gold. lol. I stole the idea from a fellow teacher and felt silly doing it the first time, but I am a firm believer now. CALL HOME! CALL HOME! CALL HOME! But also, make sure you call home frequently for good things. I've whipped out the cell phone in class to call a parent and tell them how well a student did on a certain assignment or how a student was especially helpful.

Sorry to ramble on. I hope you will find something helpful! :) Final thought--above all else, just love each of them no matter how difficult it may seem at times.