"Special Ed for... " um... newbies?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by TeacherGroupie, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Can someone please suggest a good general overview of special education? I need to fill some gaps in my knowledge base. (Yes, TeacherGroupie does have gaps in her knowledge base. Sigh.)

3. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 19, 2007

Is there an area you want to focus your overview on? I mean, like, types of disabilities or IEPs or curriculum or just pretty much everything?

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

I was thinking the same thing as Ellen. what do you need help with?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

A handbook for the beginner is what I have in mind. Is there such a thing?

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Not that I know of. I suppose we all could start a hand book.
    What is the first thing you need to know?

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

TeacherGroupie, you're a woman??? I'm so surprised! I was sure you're a man. :love:

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

laughing so hard. TG A MAN! No way hahahahaha.

9. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Apr 19, 2007

What can I say? I was under impression that TG was a man! All of TG's advice and comments were so logical and clear that I was sure it was a man! Don't get me wrong, I'm a woman myself and don't want to offend anybody here. It was just my impression. I can't say I'm dissappointed. Now I admire TG even more!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Um, thanks... Would a guy ever advertise that he's a groupie?

(This has got to be a first: a thread I posted, hijacked about me but not by me.)

The answer to ellen_a's question is "pretty much everything"... Pretend for a moment that I'm retiring from, say, chemical engineering and I've decided I want to Be Useful by volunteering in a special ed class, but I have absolutely no clue. What do you hope I would know or learn before darkening the door of your classroom, and where could I find out about it?

11. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

First you probably should learn different learning disabilities.

Remember that the students can learn, they just don't learn the same way as others.

Down Syndrome never call them downs, you might get yelled at by a parent.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Apr 19, 2007

Many different states have different titles for the same disability which can cause confusion.

Mentally Retarded (MR) can also be divided into categories. In Madison, Wi it was all called Cognitive Disabled. Here it is mentally handicapped either educable or trainable.

Grey's is back on more later.

13. misswhammy

misswhammy Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

At first, I thought TG was a man too. I really do not know why though.:confused:

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Too funny, people.

TG, contact your area school board and get info about the district and the state qualifying criteria. That would be a good start.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Thanks, 'daisy, but information on how to qualify isn't what I'm looking for. What I want is some sources on what special education is all about.

Are there any particularly useful and accessible Web sites? Any guides for parents that are especially straightforward and thorough?

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 19, 2007

Oh, sorry for misinterpreting. Your school district should be able to steer you to any parent support groups in the area. There is always CHADD, which is national, the Learning Disabilities Association, and the Dyslexia Association.

17. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 19, 2007

I love SPED because its such an expansive field--it covers so much so you can never get bored and never stop learning. Plus, we can incorporate all kinds of stuff from the general education realm, so our resources are often unlimited. That being said, it can be really hard to get a foundation knowledge of SPED.

I suppose I might recommend just borrowing an intro text from a library and perusing it to see what jumps out at you. In my freshman intro class we used "Human Exceptionality." Such a text would likely give you a decent foundation of disability types and some legislation, and then if something really piques your interest you can easily obtain more specific resources.

I read a lot of education related texts, but I rarely encounter anything that is general that I feel is terribly beneficial--SPED can be so precise and so individualized. Have you tried www.do2learn.com for info on disability types? I seem to remember they have some printable resources for parents.

Happy Learning!

18. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2007

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Apr 19, 2007

Exceptional Children: An Introduction to Special Education was the textbook I used for college. It is $90.00 but has some of the most comprehensive information on definitions, what it means as far as development and education, and how to include them in the classroom.

20. friendly

friendly Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

don't be confuse

Hi,
    i recently start mySPED course. our instructor told us to buy a book named "SPED in Ontario School'.5th addition, i read this book little but i found lots of knowlede about sped. so go and find this book in the library
    best of luck:)

21. friendly

friendly Rookie

Apr 19, 2007

hi, ellen thanks to giving us lots of information. i need ur help just tell me that if students have a problem in learning vocabulary than can i use some activities or games for improving their sight vocab.Pls send me some activites or give me ur advice right away. i am online
    thanks

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Apr 20, 2007

There are some articles Here written by Rick Lavoie. They may give you some ideas. So what have you learned so far?

23. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Apr 20, 2007

The Special Educator's Book of Lists is very helpful.

24. tchecse

tchecse Companion

Apr 20, 2007

There are a series of books about a variety of disabilities. The book is written for parents, so it talks about everything from education choices to communication, behavior, skills, resources for more information, etc. I really like the books and have read several of them in order to make informed recommendations to my parents. Here is the link for information: http://woodbinehouse.com/parent-guide.ParentGuide.0.htm

Wrightslaw is a great resource to learn about law, policy, timelines, etc. Here is their website:

http://www.wrightslaw.com/

Now, as a person who works in multiple facets of the disability community, I would say there are some basic things I would say to someone who was volunteering in my class, with my kids I provide respite for, etc:
    1. Person first language-You should always use child/adult who has (insert disability) versus language such as the CP kid, etc.
    2. Observe and build rapport with children first before jumping in to make changes.
    3. Acknowledge any attempts that children make to complete a task, communicate something, etc. (even if it is not 100% correct, etc). Phrases like good trying, good job using your words, etc. let the children know that you are proud of their attempts to follow your expectations.
    4. Celebrate the small stuff!!! Every small step to gain a seemingly simple task for typically developing children is important! This also goes for parents too...Send home little notes for these small moments in school so the parents hear the positive things their kids are doing regularly.
    5. Do not complete art projects, coloring sheets etc. for the student to make them look "right". Hand over hand assistance is fine, but try to let the child direct the action, placement of objects, etc. (Parents want their child's artwork, not ours! )
    6. When you greet a parent who has their child with a disability in tow, speak to the child whenever possible regarding their name, age, etc. Even if the parent has to answer for them, it is an acknowledgement that you are interested in them as an individual.

Hope this helps..If you want an other info, let me know.

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2007

Lots of information! Thanks, all! It will take me a while to wade through it, but I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

26. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Apr 20, 2007

Woodbine House is a wonderful publishing house--this is where specific information really comes into play. I have some of their publications on Down syndrome and autism (and a few others I think too) and they are wonderful, frequently detailed reads, that get right to the point of each selected topic. If you are looking for similar resources, I'd also recommend JKP (Jessica Kingsley Publishing) which concentrates on autism spectrum disorders.

I was sitting in a meeting today thinking the Wrightslaw site should be added to this thread. :D It is a wonderful resource for the legislative side of SPED.

27. TX Teacher

TX Teacher Rookie

Apr 20, 2007

The Council for Exceptional Children is another great website you might want to look through. It is http://www.cec.sped.org

28. morrishs01

morrishs01 Rookie

Apr 22, 2007

Book idea

I had to buy a book a few years ago for my first "intro" speced class. It is a wonderful "overview" of special education.... I would look into this book as it addresses almost every aspect of special education. Here it is, sorry not cited APA (haven't quite mastered that yet :) )

Special Education- What it is and why we need it. James M. Kauffman and Daniel P. Hallahan. Pearson Education, Inc. 2005

29. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2007

Cool! Thanks so much, all of you!

(Boy, does TeacherGroupie ever have homework to do...)

30. ysat

ysat Rookie

May 22, 2007

Hey TG.. how has it been since then? I am new to this site and I did read through... :) I am new myself though I have finished my cours ein Special Education...

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2007

I've been distracted.

32. who me

who me Rookie

May 22, 2007

I recently took a Praxis II test in special ed after a LONG time away from my last course in this area. I picked up an overview book by Scholastic and also a book explaining procedures and rights for parents at B&N. Both were paperback and most helpful. I have since loaned them to a coworker so I can't give the titles.